1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC display on Panny ?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by cadmeister, Jan 9, 2003.

1. cadmeister

cadmeister
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hooked up the laptop to the Panny 42 last night and found the display quite disappointing - very fuzzy, much like viewing a PC image on a normal TV. I'm convinced I'm doing something wrong. I tried a number of resolutions but nothing helped - is there a driver I need or something special I should be doing ?

2. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    You need to "snap in" the PC's display to remove all scaling by the plasma. This concept was on introduced to me last weekend by StooMonster (thanks again), but the difference is amazing! I could not beleive the difference.

Take a look at the "iScan ultra - anyone got one" thread in this forum and also look here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=196192

Not all gfx cards/driver allow custom resolutions (my Prophet 4500 doesn't), but my Radeon 8500 does using PowerStrip. You need to create a res of 852x480 to match the display.

Rob.

3. codlord

codlord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Although it's true what Rob100 says about matching the native resolution of the Plasma, but I use a PC on a Panny 42" at 640x480 stretched (by the Plasma) to full screen and it's crystal clear - I would say as good as a decent PC monitor.

When you start going up to 800x600 or 1024x768 things start getting slightly worse but I would still say it's a lot better than any PC output on a TV.

The only thing I can think of is the refresh rate - have you tried changing the refresh rate that the graphics card is outputting?
    You should be able to change the refresh rate but it will probably revert to it's default refresh rate if you go back to using the laptop screen.