1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC Desks - best place to buy ?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by mjw123, Jul 23, 2004.

1. mjw123

mjw123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Any advice on a good stockist of cheap PC desk / workstation ?

Only looking to pay up to £50 and haven't really found anything decent at Index / Argos / PC World.....anywhere else I should try ?

TIA,
    Mike.

2. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    IKEA have some :)

3. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,348
    MFI do them - I bought a whole office set up from there for about £500, but that included a cupboard, 2 sets of drawers, a large & a small bookcase. They have quite a wide range of desks.

I have this desk as part of my package and it's superb - loads of space, raised monitor area, 4 pidgeon holes, sliding keyboard section and its very space efficient being a corner unit. It's £89, which is more than you wanted to pay but is fantastic value for this price and it is very well made!

4. sleepyone

sleepyone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    How about Office World, i got mine + swivle chair half price in a sale.

Done me good for two years now.

May have to get a new chair though I think this one has soaked up its fair share of sweat and is starting to wiff a bit. :zonked:

Mabye a shot of Fabrezze will work :D

5. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,428
    That is not a nice image - you should really stop playing in the buff mate. Ugh. ;)

Btw, I've had an Ikea £50 effort for three moths now and its doing the trick. Not quite big enough for my 19" CRT as its a corner unit, but my nice new TFT should be here soon...

6. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought mine at Ikea, and it's basically just a thick slab of wood with 4 legs under it. (technically, it's a table, not a desk) But, it's massive and cheap. I had my TV and PC monitor on the desk, along with a pile of miscellaneous junk. No keyboard tray, shelves or any of that stuff, but it's just perfect for me.

Plus, I didn't have to worry about the thing collapsing on me.

7. sleepyone

sleepyone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    The chair is made of some weird fabric and smells faintly of cheese and onion. Which is odd as i dont eat cheese and onion. :eek:

Maybe too many marathon sesions of Star Wars Galaxies.

May have to go leather next time. Then I can just wipe it down :rotfl:

Getting back on topic, I suppose it depends on your needs what you buy. I have too much stuff to go a one shelf desk. I got a bottom shelf 1" off ground that my PC and printer sit on, a shelf much higher up that is for keyboard /mouse etc and a third shelf a littler higher for my TFT.

Also got losts of little spaces dotted around the shelves for pens, paper, cds, crisp wrappers and general rubbish storage.

8. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,348
    I had a big desk thingy from IKEA before I bought my recent MFI setup - only problem I had was that I was always sat at an angle to the monitor (I have a 21" job and if you sat straight on to it you were about 2" away!lol). Also there was no additional cubby holes and storage areas which I find very useful now.

I also plumped for a nice leather chair (was about £150) but is well worth it - very comfortable, durable and easily cleaned :). It also reclines which is ideal for long gaming sessions!

9. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,059
    I've always found that special computer desks are never big enough front to back to accomodate large monitors. I bought a normal office desk and screwed on top of that 2 sides from an old wardrobe so it gave me greater depth and width. I'll be the 1st to admit that it looks crap, but it really is great for working on and accomodates 2 19" CRT monitors, with 2 keyboards a printer and steering wheel for driving games.

10. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,348
    The MFI corner desk easily accomodates my 21" monitor, which has a large depth to it. It's very space efficient with a useful area under the monitor, where I house a sub woofer, USB hub and some blank CD's. There is stack loads of desk space and space for my camera's, joypads, PDA, Phone, clock etc on the monitor shelf. I'd also always recommend a desk with a sliding keyboard section. The monitor shelf and keyboard section save a huge amount of space and without them the desk would have to be about a metre deeper if you wished to maintain the same area of useable deak space!!

Seriously, i'd seriously recommend the MFI unit (especially at the bargain price of £89)! After owning one I can't believe I used to use a standard rectangular desk/table

11. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,348
  12. cliocarl

cliocarl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I will sell you a cherry wood desk, 100cm long by 80cm deep and has a monitor shelf and also a pc/printer shelf below.

Super condition - its the end of my desk I never use and want to get shut so i can buy my Projector.

If interested let me know and I will officially post it on FS board.

13. sleepyone

sleepyone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hey gthom3, 'snap' on the keybaord

My Desk

14. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,059
    That corner desk looks good for a single screen system. If I were a normal person I'd go for something like that
    As I work from home I've got a couple of large screens and 3 main computers and a laptop so need a long desk. Perhaps I was being a little unfair when I said that I can never find a desk big enough

15. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,348
    sleepyone - aye, they're good keyboards - great minds think alike :D

Cheers JohnG - it is superb for a single screen, but you are right in what you say re: extra screens. I guess you could get 3 TFT screens or a 17 (maybe 19") CRT & 2 TFT screens on the monitor shelf. When it comes to all CRT though you'll only get the one monitor on there.

That's a thought! 3 TFT screens (one front on and 2 on angles @ 45 deg to the main one) would be cool! If they released racing games with a 3 screen option (like F355 in the arcade_ then that would be amazing!

16. sleepyone

sleepyone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Eve-Online had support for three screens.

It looks awsome, two screen support is crap but three is the dogs danglies.

I borrowed some of my mates tft and tried it. Not enough space for three 17" tft. I could have got 1 17" and 2 15" but what would be the point in that :D