PC Dead as a Doornail!

motionman

Yesterday evening, after a normal day's use I shut down my desktop and turned in. This morning, I pressed the power switch as usual but there were no signs of life. I have checked the power cable, plug, fuse, and power supply from the mains socket (via a surge protector). All were in working order. The monitor, which uses the same surge protector, displayed its usual power-on light.

Leading up to this, something spinning such as a fan or another component has been making more noise than usual. I don't know if this is connected to the boot-up failure or not.

I'm guessing that the problem lies with the PC's internal power supply? Before I follow this route, are there other things that I should check out first?

I'm running Windows 10 Home 64bit.

motionman

Hello David and thanks for your reply.

Confession time first! I went back to the srart line for a second time and checked the AC power supply and re-seating the plug into the socket on the back of the case had a miraculous effect. So my lesson learnt was to check slowely and meticulously and don't ignore the basics.

Thanks for your link. I had a look. I didn't recognise the 24 pin connector. Were can I find this?

DavidG1

Confession time first! I went back to the srart line for a second time and checked the AC power supply and re-seating the plug into the socket on the back of the case had a miraculous effect. So my lesson learnt was to check slowely and meticulously and don't ignore the basics.

Thanks for your link. I had a look. I didn't recognise the 24 pin connector. Were can I find this?
This is the main standard connector on any ATX motherboard. Follow the main power wires from the PSU to the motherboard.

jimscreechy

Love the honesty, I would have lied.

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom