1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC Dancing?!?!?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by WBC, Jan 24, 2004.

1. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,

Whats the best dance game for the PC and the best playstation mat I could use (I'm guessing Playstation Mats are better than PC ones?)???

Thanks
    Stace :D

2. fondie

fondie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    You want one of the DDR simulators, Stepmania (www.stepmania.com) and/or Dance With Intensity (http://dwi.ddrei.com/), both are free for download, i happen to use Stepmania though both are popular.

Songs along with the stepfiles (which has the information on the arrows) are available for download all over the place, all the songs from the official Konami Dance Dance Revolution game mixes (1st mix through to 8th/extreme + the 2 european mixes dancing stage euromix 1 and 2 + a few others such as Disney mix) are available but you need the official games to avoid copyright issues, and there are many amateur creators of stepfiles, you can even make your own to any of your favourite songs if you have the time.

Using a simulator gives you the greatest variety of songs (i've got over 600 on my pc) and they can simulate various games, the origianal Konami DDR series (which plays exactly the same, you can even theme Stepmania so it look exactly the same as the arcade) along with other arcade dance game such as Pump it Up, though i haven't tried those.

At the moment i have 2 GAME (the highstreet video game store) pro edition dance mats (£15 each) hooked up with a EMS2 USB (~£8-9) converter from lik-sang (www.lik-sang.com). The GAME pro mats are considerably better than any other soft mat i have used, being a lot less flimsy and prone to crumpling up, they still have a bit of a tendancy to slide around with difficult songs so sticking some carpet gripper to the bottom can help up, some people go further and mount theirs on a wooden (plywood or something else cheap) sheet to help it keep it's shape.

I'm finding my soft mats are holding me up now though (though i haven't tried mounting it yet), so i'm hoping to get a metal one, though the best one is supposedly the Cobalt Flux (www.cobaltflux.com), it's expensive at $280, and though i would be willing to pay that, paying that again to get it shipped to the UK is just a step too much, so i've now got my eye on a Logic3 v2 one (http://shop.gameplay.co.uk/tvg/productpage.asp?ProductCode=PL3203) which is £80 delivered, which according to a few user user impressions from forums is good though you might have to resolder a few joints because they are poorly soldered and break, and some people (though not all) have reported the buttons creaking, but if you can live with those things they are supposed to be pretty good, though i can't vouch for that myself (yet).

For light/medium use (and cost considerations) i'd recommend the GAME Pro edition, best soft mat i've used, and if you find it can't keep up with you any more then you can always try mounting it, and in the end at only £15 it's not a big deal if you have to replace it in the end, from the abuse mats get they don't tend to last forever anyway.

Hope that's of some relevance, ask away if you have any more questions,

Bob

3. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks

Thats the kind of information I'm after!!

So is stepmania the one to go for? I'm guessing from your thread, you do this often :D !!

Whats the different downloads on the stepmania website (announcers etc)

Where should I look for songs?

Thanks

4. fondie

fondie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hehe, fairly often :p

Stepmania is a great place to start, they are both pretty similar but i think Stepmania has more features, and i know more about Stepmania :)

The main program is the most important thing, which is the first file listed on this site, StepMania-3.9-alpha12.exe :-

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=37892

Announcer packs are sound packs, so during the game you will have an announcer telling you how you are doing, and when you finish will either commend you on your fantastic performance or have a dig at you for doing badly, i personally find them a bit annoying after a while as they just repeat the same cheesey phrases, but by all means give it a try, they aren't essential to getting things working though.

Theme packs, just change the menu's etc so they have different background and fonts etc, and can also change the look of the score bar etc while playing, again not essential, but if you want a change from the regular Stepmania theme or want to make it look like the arcade then go for it.

Once announcer and theme packs are installed you can easily switch between them or revert back to the default Stepmania ones, from the in game menus, so there is no harm experimenting.

I'll send you a PM about songs.

Bob

5. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fondie,

You there I got some questions?