1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC crashing.

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by AML, Apr 18, 2005.

1. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    ANOTHER problem with my PC! :rolleyes:
    Recently my PC started crashing while playing none other than counter strike source. It doesnt happen with any other games.

After the PC restarts I keep getting the same message.

"windows has recovers from a serious error caused by hardware falure"

It says that my CPU reprts the falure to windows but it never tells me what it was that failed.

Is there a way to find out?

It sounds like it could be my graphics card. Ive already returned it to stock settings but it still keeps happening.

I just want to make sure that it is the card so I can do something about it.

Cheers in advance.

2. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    AML

You're overclocking right ? Quick suggestion would be to put it all back to the stock values etc. and test again.

That way you can eliminate if it's due to your overclocked settings on ur CPU/MB/RAM.

3. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    At the moment only my CPU is overclocked (along with the memory).
    I think if I have to lower it back to 2.8ghz im going to take a big performance hit.

Ill try it though.

Do yoy know how to check what it is thats causing the crash through windows? some hidden program that can scan your hardware?
    Im using XP pro by the way.

4. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    No hidden "hardware" program I know of - and it wouldn't really make a huge amount of sense to be honest.

It's not always easy to understand why Windows does some of the things it does anyway - it's just best to work from a level playing field. It could even be something as "stupid" as a program in your taskbar causing issues - but it's always, as ever, a process of elimination!

5. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    There is a setting to stop the PC auto rebooting when suffering a crash, this is automatically turned on in XP.

http://www.theeldergeek.com/auto_reboot_on_system_crash.htm

Turn that off and you should get the old familiar BSOD :) Do you have an ATI card? I seem to remember having similar problems with GPU errors reported for CS. I think in the end I just did a fresh install of graphics drivers and CS.

6. technoman28

technoman28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +369
    I had a problem with crashing, and found that one of the problems was the siting of the comp. As it was in a wardrobe sized cupboard tucked away in a space with very little space around the case, following a reply on another forum concerning overheating, I removed one of the side panels, since then it has not crashed. I am in the process of updating the graphics card to hopefully cure another problem of games freezing for about 15-20 secs, but that is not going smoothly at all, to see what I mean go to Tiscali>forums>comp+tech>pc help>graphics card problems, if anybody here can shed any light on the problem it would be most appreciated.

7. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Thanks for replies.
    It doesnt happen that often. It could be card related. Maybe over heating? I do keep the PC as cool as I can. Lots of space with the side panel open. Air Conditioning unit pointed at the PC!
    I dont think cooling is an issue.
    Could be the drivers. Ive recenltly installed Nvidias latest drivers.
    Seems stable for the moment.

8. ELV

ELV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Does'nt sound like overheating, no pixelating etc and only on one game?Over clocking the cpu will overclock the agp port etc unless it's knocked out of sync, could be some damage has been done due to oc previously as i seem to recall youv'e had similar probs in the past.
    Have you tried re installing CS or contacting valve.

9. sapperjohn

sapperjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I've also had a few problems which only manifest themselves playing CS:S. Manged to cure them but not without lots of trial and error. Main ones however were caused by the sound card and memory.

Originally had a Sondblaster Live card which caused crashing to desktop or freezing with looping sound. Cured that one by replacing with Audigy 2 ZS and latest drivers.
    Problem with craetive is that they update their drivers very infrequently and IIRC the SB live drivers haven't been updated in years.

Memory. Now this one is odd. System would crash with a memory error (this only ever happened in CS:S)"The Instruction at 0x####### referenced memory at 0x#######". Now my cuurent rig is AMD64 3500 Winnie Abit AV8 3rd eye, which is more than capable of runing Dual channel DDR at stock 400Mhz. After much trial and error, incuding buying new Geil memory, I found that the only solution was to run the memory at 333Mhz. Since then no further memory errors. Actualy makes very little difference in frame rate on the stress test, IIRC 126 fps as opposed to 129 fps.

Not sure if this is useful info but it may be areas you can check out and discount.

Sapperjohn

10. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Good point about the sound card. It may well be that!
    Ill try the lastest drivers and see if it helps.
    Cheers.

11. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,184
  12. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    AML, I had this problem once, I deleted the cs & hl2 folders and steam reinstalled them, worked perfect after that

13. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I repair computers for a living and get quite a few computers which have this bsod message, usually it can be a variety of reasons - the most popular is from people with store bought systems (time, dell etc) trying to install non system compatiable items, sometimes, components have worked loose - unplug and reinstall all cards and mem chips, the fact that it happens with a specific game could be a driver issue - uninstall, then reinstall the game, make sure your directx is up to date, check the game instructions for incompatiability issues with your hardware/software.