PC copy to DMR-E50

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by andyfr, Jun 7, 2004.

1. andyfr

andyfr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have had a DMR-E50 for a few months now and have been very happy with it. I recently got a Panasonic 9581 burner for my PC and when I tried to copy some files from a disk to watch through the E50 I got a message saying something like "Incompatible Disk". The disk was done by a friend of mine onto a dvd-rw disk and I copied the contents onto a RAM disk. When this didn't work I copied the contents to the hard disk and then used Nero to burn to a -r disk, again the same message. I have been using the same media in the E50 so I know it works fine.

What am I doing wrong? I can play the files on the PC but not on the E50. I had wanted to be able to record onto a RAM disk and then if I wanted to keep it to copy to -r using the PC. Is this possible or not?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Andy.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,599
    That's odd - DVD-RW can be recorded in two modes: Video (where the file structure is the same as that used on a commercial DVD or a DVD-R) or VR (where the file structure is the same as a DVD-RAM disk). Can you have a look and see what format it is in (Video will include .VOB files whereas VR will have a .VRO file). Regardless though it should have played on either DVD-RAM or DVD-R as these cover both types of file structure.

There could be a number of reasons why it doesn't work:
    1) The DVD-RW does not confirm to the official pre-set DVD specifications (a possibility if it was authored on a home PC by a novice). This also seems likely if the PC will play it.
    2) The 'ripping' process you use to get the files onto your HDD prior to copying to DVD-RAM/-R is flawed. Have you tried using a programme like DVD Decrypter to grab the files?
    3) The DVD-RW disk is faulty (it is not unknown for sufficient errors to have occurred for one player to still read the disk whilst another will not).
    What am I doing wrong? I can play the files on the PC but not on the E50. I had wanted to be able to record onto a RAM disk and then if I wanted to keep it to copy to -r using the PC. Is this possible or not?

Have you tried just playing the DVD-RW in the E50?

3. andyfr

andyfr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Rasczak

Thanks for the reply. I have checked and they are .VOB files. The DVD-RW gives me the error when I try to play it in the E50.

When I put the files on the hard disk I just copied from the disk to a folder on the hard disk I didn't use any 'ripping' process.

I haven't tried DVD Decrypter, is it available for download anywhere?

I have only just got the DVD burner so am a novice where DVD burning is concerned so please bear with me. :rolleyes:

Andy.

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,599
    The DVD-RW is in 'Video Mode' (the same file structure as you would expect on a commercial DVD or a DVD-R) and problems can occur if you just copy it to your HDD. I suggest downloading DVD Decrypter (do a Google search for it - it's free to download/use) to 'extract' the files to your HDD after which you can use a burning ultitlity such as Nero to burn to DVD-R.

Alternatively you could import it into a programme which supports VR format and export it in a DVD-RAM friendly format - but, frankly, I think this would be a waste of time given it's just one disk and that DVD-Rs are hardly expensive!

5. andyfr

andyfr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for that. I have downloaded it and will give it a try.

Next question - sorry :lease: . I recorded a program onto DVD-RAM and have decided to keep it, how do I convert it so that I can burn it to DVD-R?

Andy.

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,599
    Please read my thread entitled "PC GUIDE: DVD-RAM (inc DVD-RW VR Mode) To DVD-R" that is a sticky at the top of this forum. You'll find a guide to an easy method of doing this there (although there are many other ways of doing it).

7. andyfr

andyfr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks very much. :D

I have printed out the pdf and am just about to download the software to give it a try.

Andy.