1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC Connection to Viera Plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by jamesjfa, Sep 13, 2004.

1. jamesjfa

jamesjfa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there

I am thinking of hooking my PC up to my plasma for general computer use. Games, internet browsing etc. The two connection choices I can think of are:

1. svideo from the 9800Pro GPU to the plasma
    2. straight into the vga connection on the front of the screen

Can anyone tell me what the best connection to use would be? Does anyone use your PC in this way? Any other hints / tips welcome.

Cheers.

2. richywiseman

richywiseman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A plasma is basically a big PC monitor, i plugged my laptop into my PWD6 and it looked great. Just use a VGA cable,great for surfing the net....

3. Tonester

Tonester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Even though the resolution is only VGA?

does it automatically scale down higher res screens or will it spit the dummy out when you feed, say, 1268x1024 screen?

I'm thinking of buying one but didn't expect it to be any good with computer input.

4. Tonester

Tonester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any thoughts on this? Would be interested to know...

5. stewwy

stewwy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi

Not an expert on plasma, but i know a bit about pc's and graphics,

Yup it will probably spit out the dummy if you feed it to much resolution.

But most of the graphics cards on the market will auto output a lower res to the second display on either a laptops vga out or the unused out on the video card

I think that you only need to be careful if its the only display connected. Use the latest ati display controls to output in a compatible form ( got to http://softmod.techpowerup.com and download the latest modified drivers for best results )

Bring up the display properties > settings > advanced > displays
    and you can set up profiles for diferent displays depending on the connections etc ... very usefull

Hope this helps

stewwy

6. woody125

woody125

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Ive got a Hitachi 42pd5200 and a pc with a geforce fx5700U graphics card with dual monitor out.

Ive got the plasma connected to the secondary out with the resolution set to 1024x768 and the refresh at 60hz. And I get an amazing picture. I must say better than my current CRT monitor. Colours are sharp and vibrant. I think its a great way of connecting up a pc. I can also play High Def videos using windows media player. And these look truly stunning.

By the way ive got it connected using the standard VGA lead.

7. Tonester

Tonester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cool - that is one plus point for the Hitachi in my 'big' decision. However, if the Viera gives a good image for games and streamed video I may be swayed.

8. richywiseman

richywiseman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I hooked up my laptop I had it on 1024X768 32 bit. Looked fine.