1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC Connection to a Panny 5B

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by pwarren, Feb 14, 2003.

1. pwarren

pwarren

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm taking delivery of Panasonic TH-42PW5B next week, and to say i'm mildly excited is an understatement. Fingers crossed for dead pixels and transformer hum. (shouldn't have these kind of worries when spend this amount of money...sorry). Nonetheless, i will be connecting the panel to a sky box via a JS RGB>VGA converter, and a DVD player via component. I have a high powered PC with a top notch graphic card. This got me thinking about hooking my PC to the panel to play games.

My questions are these:-

Firstly, I'm gonna be using the VGA port for sky, how can get my PC connected, can you get an adapter, and does mean a loss of quality...or is it just unplug and plug.

Secondly, the pixel count on the Pannasonic is not that high, how will it deal with a game running at a high screen resolution output.

Anyone got it running? What's it like? Into UT2003, Quake III and the like.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Paul

2. codlord

codlord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Not sure about the adaptor business but as for PC on the plasma:

I have a 4 series Panasonic that has a native res of 800andsomething by 480 - I just use standard resolutions in the stretched mode to fill screen (rather than finding drivers to support the native resolution) but if you want to do some serious gaming or whatever it may be worth your while getting specific res drivers.

However, in 640x480 - crystal clear superb quality, in other modes the screen must do some scaling but it does a very good job becuase 800x600 is still very good and clear, and 1024x768 is also clear (but not quite so) but I was getting a little bit of flicker (although this could be due to my graphics card).

Don't use mine for games but I do winamp visulisations on it in 800x600 and it looks superb.

3. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Essentially you'll want to disconnect the VGA from the Plasma VGA unit and connect this to your PC. You can get switch boxes from www.dabs.com (there are other suppliers) which will allow you to quickly switch from one to another.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

4. cadmeister

cadmeister
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I asked a near identical question a month ago. Rob100 gave this useful reply (unfortunately the gfx card in my laptop is limited so I can't try this, but you may have more success)

---

"You need to "snap in" the PC's display to remove all scaling by the plasma. This concept was on introduced to me last weekend by StooMonster (thanks again), but the difference is amazing! I could not beleive the difference.

Take a look at the "iScan ultra - anyone got one" thread in this forum and also look here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show...threadid=196192

Not all gfx cards/driver allow custom resolutions (my Prophet 4500 doesn't), but my Radeon 8500 does using PowerStrip. You need to create a res of 852x480 to match the display.

Rob."

5. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    The best graphics card for pixel matching has got to be the Pixel Perfect card.

Basically it's designed for commercial applications and home cinema PC (although I'm not sure how the gaming performance as it's only a Kyro II chip!) it can do any resolution in any aspect ratio and has software for push-of-a-button landscape/portrait switching!

6. pwarren

pwarren

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the response guys..I will hours of fun / frustration i guess until i get it right. Gives me some ideas how best to approach it...thanks again.