PC Connection or DVI to HDMI on Panasonic TH42PZ70B?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by jonthomas83, Jan 21, 2008.

1. jonthomas83

jonthomas83
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi guys,

I THINK I have a Radeon 9500 graohics card with a DVI output, could someone give me some help on this one, I have a PC connection on the back of my tele Panasonic TH42PZ70, is it worth getting just a normal cable to go from my PC (with a DVI to monitor cable connection (sorry don't know the correct name!)) or should I invest in a DVI to HDMI cable? Will the picture be better?

I was thinking about the THOR connection at the top of this link? Is it good?

Also I need to know if this will go full screen or whether it'll just be a square screen in the middle of the TV? At which point it would be a pointless excercise! At the moment I can't get 1920 x 1080 res on the 19" monitor I'm currently using, would this change when I connect it to my TV that can handle that res?

Many thanks in advance, much help needed! lol

Jonathan

2. Jamie

Jamie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,368
    Unless your DVI port on the graphics card is HDCP enabled and you want to use for protected content (blu-ray, or HD-DVD) I'd probably go for the PC input. Most TV's are linited to the resolutions they accept via HDMI whereas the PC input should have a higher number of acceptable resolutions. (should be listed in the manual)

My old philips plasma has the DVI as both a HDCP-HDMI (with an adapter) or a PC input. You use the same plug but switch the TV to either HD or PC depending on the use. I find the PC to be a much better PQ when using as a PC input.

3. jonthomas83

jonthomas83
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have a ps3 for playing bluray so don't need it for that, however, if I use the PC input will pictures be in high definition? I want to use it for pc games etc. will it be a good picture quality and do you think it'll be full screen?