1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC connecting to Component TV and amp??

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by bradalax, May 24, 2005.

1. bradalax

bradalax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    What do I need to connect my existing PC to my screen? I have a Radeon 9800 Pro with DVI, it's about 6m away from screen.

And what about sound? I currently use the onboard sound on my motherboard, but am willing to buy a sound card card if need be, something that will connect to my amp would be nice.

Thanks Guys

2. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You need a DVI / component adapter - http://froogle.google.co.uk/ will help you find stockists - they're about £20-25

Does you onboard sound have SPDIF out? If so that would be ideal for connecting to an amp with SPDIF in. - does you amp have optical/co-ax or a mix of both for SPDIF inputs

3. MPK

MPK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Assuming your 9800 only has one DVI output, I wouldn't waste that one on an analog component connection. Use the card's VGA output and get a VGA to Component converter for your TV, which will give you an equally good picture. You then have the DVI output for your PC screen with a digital connection.

Most mobo's have a SPDIF out, which should be enough. However, you then won't be able to use the PC's analog speakers at the same time and you'll have to change the PC's sound settings from analog to digital each time you switch between receiver and PC speakers.