1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC clock losing time

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by richgtfc, Jan 16, 2005.

1. richgtfc

richgtfc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My PC keeps losing about 5mins over 24 hours, then doesn't seem to lose anymore time. Not really a probem yet, but when I eventually :rolleyes: buy a TV card, it'll be a pain in the :censored: if I keep missing the 5 mins of progs I record. It seems strange that it loses 5 mins quickly then doesn't lose further time. Anyone any ideas?? It's an ASUS A7N8X-E motherboard with a AMD 2500XP, if that helps, less than a year old.

Cheers
    Rich

2. severnsource

severnsource

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I think those boards must have duff clocks. I replaced the board in my server with one of these boards; the original boards clock lost about 6 seconds a day, the new one several minutes a day.

The solution I use is an internet time synchronisation programme. I use a shareware program called Tardis which can be set to adjust the time as frequently as you want. Mine checks the time every 2 minutes on the duff computer, which means the time is kept within 1 second.

This does assume that you have always on internet access of course.

There are other free time setting progs around but I don't have any details about them.

Your TV card may well be able to set the computers clock. One of the options with the Nebula DigiTV card is to set the clock from the TV which should be accurate, but I don't know how often it checks the time; it would need to do it fairly frequently to keep the clock reasonably accurate.

Bill

3. richgtfc

richgtfc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for that, I've been using the windows internet synchro, but that only does it once a week, unless I do it manually. I'll have a search for Tardis. Bit crap a hi tech bit of kit like an Asus mobo can't tell the time!

Cheers
    Rich

4. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    could it also be the CMOS battery playing up?

5. richgtfc

richgtfc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thought about that, just installed tardis, so i'll go with that for now. Can't be arsed disconnecting my pc and taking the case off!! They weird bit is that it loses some time quickly, then is ok from then on?? It has also been losing time since I built it, although it could have a dodgy cmos battery since the start.

Rich

6. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    It was a battery in one of my pcs that made it lose time, although it didnt stop at 5mins, it carried on till i updated it over the internet. Replaced the battery and all is well.