1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC Capture Card or ProV???

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by uk_robk, Mar 13, 2003.

1. uk_robk

uk_robk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I want to send my cable box input to my projector with reasonable quality, as far as I can see I have two options :

a) Buy a ProV box to do progressive conversion

b) Buy a video capture card for HTPC and feed input into that, then display via PC VGA out

Which of these two options is better? Are there any disadvantages to either option?

Thanks,
    RobK

2. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I found the Pro-V to be less hassle and as 'good as' if not better picture than a Falcon capture card with DeScaler. If you have other uses for the capture card then that would probably be better but for a 'plug in and go' situation go for the Pro V.

3. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Pro V does an admiral job & is very convenient.

A capture card will give better results due to the possibility of using Dscaler. A plethora of adjustments available too.

Pro V is £100 ish, a capture card - cheap PCTV Rave only £40.

What PJ do you have? I know that the HS10 will only display an XGA signal (via VGA, if it had one!) "windowed".

Check out the FLI card in the lengthy thread here. My personal preference is for a capture card/Dscaler.

4. paublo

paublo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The Connexant 2388x chipset has really moved the capture card area forward.

I personnally have owned a PCTV Rave card and found it lacking in sharpness, detail etc but the Prolink X-Capture based on the new chipset is streets ahead (even compared to the legendary Falcon!) Do a search in this forum for the X-Capture...

I have no experience of the prov but if you have the Pc skills and the pc hardware available then its would appear a much better choice (based on previous posts that the Pro V is is comparible to a Rave card)..

Cheers
    Paul

5. uk_robk

uk_robk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies folks, I'm currently building a HTPC which is why I originally posted the question, was wondering if it was worth buying a ProV - seems the answer is no in this case.

Will do some reading on the cards mentioned, it's all connecting to a PTAE100 btw.

Thanks again,
    RobK