1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC cable for Hitachi 42PD5200

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by leamspaceman, Jul 27, 2004.

1. leamspaceman

leamspaceman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,815
    My replacement plasma (Hitachi 42PD5200) is coming tomorrow. I want to connect my laptop to it. The set has an RGB analogue 15 pin D-sub PC input (I cant use the DVI input as that is for my DVD).

My laptop has the normal 15 pin VGA output on the back.

I need some advice as to what type of cable I should use?

Are there 'premium' quality cables available for this purpose as is the case with A/V cables...you know, the IXOS/QED type cables with OFC copper, screening, gold-plated connectors and all that stuff? If so, where can I get them from in the UK?

Do I just need to use a 'bog-standard' VGA cable. They are all that horrible beige or grey colour. OK, so the cable is not that visible, but they remind me of when I used to work in an office...yuk :zonked:

Also, what refresh rate and screen output resolution should I set my PC at when connecting? Can I damage my Plasma if these are not set correctly?

Any advice would be most welcome.

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    I've used the standard VGA cable that cam with my monitor to run my PC through my Hitachi 42PD3000 without any problems.

As the Hitachi has a resolution of 1024*1024 it's difficult to get an exact resolution match although I tried mine with various resolutions from 1024*768 to 1366*768 without any problems other than the scaling but the screen was definately usable at 1366*768

HTH

John

3. Dr Downey

Dr Downey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Belkin do some reasonable VGA cables, they are usually black too.

4. AngryofMayfair

AngryofMayfair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually the VGA connection is in some ways better than the DVI connection as you have more control over the settings with VGA.
    I connect my laptop with a 'normal' VGA cable and it looks very good. I tried the DVI but to me it didn't look any better.
    The desktop was set to 1280 x 768 @ 50hz or 60hz and looked great.
    I don't think you can damage the set with incorrect scan rates - you just get an out of range message.