• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

PC build

thereapersheat

Standard Member
Hi all

What do you think of this gameing build?

Also with using dual channel ram would i be able to get 2 more sets and make it Triple Channel?

Attachments

• pc parts.JPG
    pc parts.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 79

Berties

Banned
Good but expensive as top of the range items. No don't buy another set of dual, if you want more RAM get a complete triple channel kit. 8GB is plenty, 12GB I think is OTT.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Also with using dual channel ram would i be able to get 2 more sets and make it Triple Channel?

Yeah, but you'd have twice the capacity on one channel so performance wouldn't be as good, I'd go for 6GB now and then add another three sticks later.

As a pure gaming system it's pants, the i7-980X offers no more performance than the i7-950 in games so I'd save the £500 and spend it on something that makes a big difference instead like a second graphics card or more/better screens. The same goes for the motherboard, you're not likely to see any performance difference over a £150 one and the £250 can likely be spent with much more effect elsewhere.

How many screens are you plugging this setup into and are they 120hz ones?

thereapersheat

Standard Member
I thinking of runing it as a 3d gameing rig

also dose it matter how many cores the cpu has becuse i run alot of progames at the same time as i am gameing and i want to run it high spec in games

Is the much in it between the 970 and the 980x cpu

With the game i want to be able to max it with 4GB chips

Lost but not less i like to be able to seen blue ray from my pc to a 50inch TV

Berties

Banned
Lesser system (although still high end) will be fine. Just built up i950, X58 UDR3, 6GB. Will be 95% match to yours in a game. No problem for 3ghz dual core for 1080p playback. Some games use dual core but not all use more then 2. Which is strange.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
also dose it matter how many cores the cpu has becuse i run alot of progames at the same time as i am gameing and i want to run it high spec in games

Is the much in it between the 970 and the 980x cpu

With the game i want to be able to max it with 4GB chips

We're talking a 2-3% difference between the i7-950 and i7-980X in games. Completely unnoticeable.

The extra cores of the 980X may help with your other applications, but if they're demanding enough to require what's effectively dual core CPU for themselves I'd be worried about their other requirements affecting gameplay.

What sort of applications are you looking at running in the background?

Lost but not less i like to be able to seen blue ray from my pc to a 50inch TV

So you output is a single 1920x1080 screen at 120hz? That's not too demanding, although I'd still consider a second card.

Blu-ray just requires a drive, any new CPU is going to be powerful enough to play it.

the_beast

Established Member
for that expensive hardware an SSD for your boot drive is going to make much more difference to your computing experience than have 12 logical cores.

Also drop the 3TB drive and go for 2TB drives instead - much cheaper and easier to use. I would even consider a few drives in RAID0 to store your larger games etc - so a single 60-120GB boot SSD (Sandforce or C300), 2x1TB Samsung F3s in RAID0 for games then a 2TB EcoGreen drive or 2 for extra storage if needed.

thereapersheat

Standard Member
I got the moeny to be able to buy it but as i hear your saying theres better ways of makeing a gaming rig also i would like to have a fail safe with the hard drive so raid 0 is faster but not as good for me

the_beast

Established Member
if you have the money but are worried about drive failure then go RAID10 (needs 4 drives minimum) or (better) get another external drive and back up your system to it regularly.

To run a system as powerful as the one you listed with a single drive storage system is a complete waste of time. Not to mention that the risks of losing 3TB of stuff is quite high with everything on a single drive - with a multi-drive system you can store system images and file backups across multiple drives in the same machine to mitigate some of the potential for loss, but with a single drive you have no options.

thereapersheat

Standard Member
For that much space i can only see setting up a raid 1 on the two 6GB/s ports as a good back up way is there any down full on read and wright speeds doing this?

also is there any motherbords with more then 2 6GB/s ports?

and is intel the way to go or AMD at the moent i got and intel so far i own the GTX480 but dose not fit the mother boad i have at the moment :(

the_beast

Established Member
For that much space i can only see setting up a raid 1 on the two 6GB/s ports as a good back up way is there any down full on read and wright speeds doing this?

also is there any motherbords with more then 2 6GB/s ports?

On Intel you have a max of 2 6Gb/s (not GB/s) ports. But that is irrelevant - for anything but a C300 you won't see any difference, and in fact the ICH10R (SATA 3Gb/s) is faster than any integrated controller anyway, even with SATA 6Gb/s drives.

RAID1 will read and write pretty much like a single drive - so close in performance that you won't notice the difference (very slight decrease in read accesses, slightly longer write accesses, no change in sequential speeds). But RAID1 isn't backup, it is only protection for drive failure. If you get a virus, delete a file by mistake, have your pc stolen, knock over the case, get flooded, etc then RAID offers no protection, but a proper backup stored elsewhere means you can have your system up and running in very little time.

thereapersheat

Standard Member
Saying i should get two smaller drives in raid 0 and back up esle were

so buy the bigest External hard drive i can to back my stuff up too

Also what files should be backed up

Saying that intel is what i need for gaming

Also i am going to buy more bit to this pc to max it out

So the motherboad will have 2 GPU, NetWork Card, Sound Card and a Physx card

so the 7 pci slots will be used

Berties

Banned
lol don't waste your money on physx...it's dead and so is the company. Or one of those £100 network cards lol.
7 PCI?

I'd say 60-90GB SSD for OS, then a 2TB Western Digital Black for games and other stuff. Backup everything you will lose forever or stuff which takes ages to get it back (ie music collection)

Actually thinking about it I may shelf my two 320GB hard drives (fine) store my flac music collection, then just get one bigger drive.

i5 or i7 for gaming (got a 950 with gigabte X55) 6GB RAM should do.

the_beast

Established Member
lol don't waste your money on physx...it's dead and so is the company. Or one of those £100 network cards lol.
7 PCI?
PhysX is not dead - the tech was bought by NVidia, and runs on their GPUs.

For PhysX you want a mid-range GPU.

For a network card you don't want to spend near £100 as the 'gaming' NICs do very little. But something like an Intel Pro/1000 CT or PT (or MT for a PCI slot if you have one free but no PCIe) is a worthwhile upgrade if you do a lot of large transfers etc.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom