Pc build suggestions for photo/video editing purposes

bm1

Novice Member
Hi all, Pc build suggestions for photo/video editing purposes are very much needed please?
I have upgraded my current i5 usb 2.0 system to the max now and it’s time to move on!
Ive been using photoshop cs6 for years for raw photo editing and have just got a GoPro and will probably take some [email protected] footage that will probably need simple trimming to cut out the junk!
The trouble is with me is I tend to strive for the best gear and I’m sure in this instance some of the specs, tech (and price) isn’t warranted.
Please correct me if I’m thinking wrong or the specs are not suited or over the top for my purposes. I’m not a gamer!
I’d like an intel cpu, I’m thinking something like the i9 9900k.
Dual Samsung 970 evo plus m.2 nvme ssd’s with 3,500 MB/s speed
32 GB ram ddr4 3200mhz
I was thinking I could try using the onboard graphics for my needs initially as I’m not heavy into video editing but if not working out to buy a gpu later.
I have no clue as to a suitable motherboard and the possible performance bottlenecks, please can you help?

Last edited:

jimscreechy

I have a friend who does video editing. She has recently upgraded to an i511600k and GTX 1660ti which she says is gives her enough performance for what she does (though I think she would have gone for a better processor if she had the money) as I think this improves video rendering time or something like that, but I'm not so sure.

However She does have 2x GEN4 NVMe M.2 drives however. 1TB system and 2TB scratch so this maybe something you want to consider over the 970 Evo since this is a big performance gain for Video editing. She also has 32GB of ram. She doesn't game either and this is solely for work, though I'm certainly sure this system would make a decent gaming rig.

Hope this helps.

bm1

Novice Member
I have a friend who does video editing. She has recently upgraded to an i511600k and GTX 1660ti which she says is gives her enough performance for what she does (though I think she would have gone for a better processor if she had the money) as I think this improves video rendering time or something like that, but I'm not so sure.

However She does have 2x GEN4 NVMe M.2 drives however. 1TB system and 2TB scratch so this maybe something you want to consider over the 970 Evo since this is a big performance gain for Video editing. She also has 32GB of ram. She doesn't game either and this is solely for work, though I'm certainly sure this system would make a decent gaming rig.

Hope this helps.
If I understand, an M.2 gen 4 has a read speed of around 6,400 mb/s although a write speed of only 2,700mb/s and would mean the motherboard would need to have pcie 4.0 slots on which will be a late gen motherboard?

Last edited:

jimscreechy

Er well speeds vary according to manufacturer and model, but GEN4 speeds tend to start at the high end of where GEN3 devices peak.. though remember read and write speeds are different with write speeds tending to be a bit slower, but certainly many devices are capable of 6000MBPS for both read and write, and if you spend a bit more, some devices can go considerably above this.

I'm not entirely sure what motherboard you need for GEN4 m.2 certainly those supporting 10th gen intel and up will. I have a z390 and intel i9 and I don't believe it does in the m.2 socket though it does in the Pcie slots. I can't help you with AMD since I don't use their stuff. You may have to just do some double checking on that, or some of the posse here may be able to give you a bit more info on the specific MB support platforms.

bm1

Novice Member
Er well speeds vary according to manufacturer and model, but GEN4 speeds tend to start at the high end of where GEN3 devices peak.. though remember read and write speeds are different with write speeds tending to be a bit slower, but certainly many devices are capable of 6000MBPS for both read and write, and if you spend a bit more, some devices can go considerably above this.

I'm not entirely sure what motherboard you need for GEN4 m.2 certainly those supporting 10th gen intel and up will. I have a z390 and intel i9 and I don't believe it does in the m.2 socket though it does in the Pcie slots. I can't help you with AMD since I don't use their stuff. You may have to just do some double checking on that, or some of the posse here may be able to give you a bit more info on the specific MB support platforms.
Do you do any editing on your i9 z390 setup?

jimscreechy

I do a fair bit of "photoshopping" but no video editing. Hmm not entirely true. I do occasionally use windows movie maker, but thats real 'nickel and dime' stuff compared to anything anyone with any skill would use. I don't have any issues, but then, I'm playing tic-tac-toe in video/pic editing terms.

bm1

Novice Member
I do a fair bit of "photoshopping" but no video editing. Hmm not entirely true. I do occasionally use windows movie maker, but thats real 'nickel and dime' stuff compared to anything anyone with any skill would use. I don't have any issues, but then, I'm playing tic-tac-toe in video/pic editing terms.
Lol, I’ve not edited video either as I mainly do photoshop and my old i5 pc has worked ok but am doing a bit more now and the usb 2.0 connection speeds are starting to annoy me let alone any rendering when converting from mov. Files to mpg4.
I obviously need to upgrade but every time I think I get close to working out a system, I spot a spec compatibility issue or bottleneck and it drags me into the next gen system to overcome these issues and I’m wondering what spec is enough 😀.
One question would help me a lot, What part of a motherboard restricts/bottlenecks a motherboard in regards to speed/performance. The file flow from a usb or similar input right through to finished edit ? I’ve heard the word buss speed but wouldn’t know what it means lol

jimscreechy

Hmmm It is always good to gain as much knowledge as possible, but I'd not get too carried away with the focus on how things work but rather, just have an overall understanding of what is the best available generally and more particularly for your purpose and application... that is, within the limits of your budget.

Buying the best or most expensive may not be a particularly wise thing to do for your application. A better Graphics card my be a more poignant purchase for a gamer but provide no increase in utility to a video editor, and by the same token a better CPU may provide a much better purchase reward for a video editor than gamer. If your budget is limitless, its likely that any system you build will be able to fit all or most applications, because ultimately money does buy you horsepower in computing for most domestic based systems.

There are plenty of Youtube videos that will give you the information you seek with just a little investment in time. I'd start HERE it is a 2019 video, but does give a good foundation for where things were a few years ago and where they've gone. You can jumpt to any a myriad of Videos from there which will feed you as much as you care to absorb.

oneman

Can't believe I am saying this but based on the software you are using have you considered a Mac Mini ?

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
Can't believe I am saying this but based on the software you are using have you considered a Mac Mini ?

Burn the witch :hiya:

But yes seriously it's a valid point for this type of work and you don't have to mess about with building the PC. :smashin:

bm1

Novice Member
Hmmm It is always good to gain as much knowledge as possible, but I'd not get too carried away with the focus on how things work but rather, just have an overall understanding of what is the best available generally and more particularly for your purpose and application... that is, within the limits of your budget.

Buying the best or most expensive may not be a particularly wise thing to do for your application. A better Graphics card my be a more poignant purchase for a gamer but provide no increase in utility to a video editor, and by the same token a better CPU may provide a much better purchase reward for a video editor than gamer. If your budget is limitless, its likely that any system you build will be able to fit all or most applications, because ultimately money does buy you horsepower in computing for most domestic based systems.

There are plenty of Youtube videos that will give you the information you seek with just a little investment in time. I'd start HERE it is a 2019 video, but does give a good foundation for where things were a few years ago and where they've gone. You can jumpt to any a myriad of Videos from there which will feed you as much as you care to absorb.
Thank you, I’ll look into the link 👍🏻. Like I said, in other aspects of gear I USUALLY strive for the best but in the pc world that can be so expensive and I believe that there is a point that goes beyond what is required for my needs and just want to find out what that is! I’ve never even owned a graphics card to date, that’ll be a whole new research feat lol

bm1

Novice Member
No I haven’t but I have always used an intel pc with windows, I guess it’s the familiarity I’m comfortable with 😬

DeepDiver

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom