Question PC build components advice ?

kj4547

Novice Member
I was wondering whether these components are all compatible for my first pc build. If there is anything that won't be compatible I would be interested to know.

Budget is about £950

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 processor (CPU cooler included)

Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC AM4 DDR4 ATX MOTHERBOARD

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 Memory Kit

Storage: Corsair Force Series MP510 480GB NVMe PCIe Gen3 x 4 M.2 Solid State

GPU: MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT MECH OC 8GB Graphics Card

PSU: Corsair TX850M Semi-Modular ATX PSU - 850W

PC CASE: KOLINK Stronghold E-ATX Mid-Tower PC Case

INTERNAL HDD: WD Blue 1TB Internal HDD - 2.5" - WD10SPZX

tickedon

All looks good to me.

Note that AMD are releasing a new B550 chipset in the next week or two, so if you don't need to purchase right now, you might want to look at swapping the motherboard choice for one of those new chipset models - it brings PCIE 4.0 graphics functionality and a few other upgrades over B450 (although it does also lose a couple of features). Most importantly, it has a longer upgrade path for future Ryzen CPUs, whereas B450 is getting one more generation (as a beta bios) and that's it.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
I would personally prefer more SSD storage space as it helps particularly with games the size they are these days.

Go for a 1TB and offset against a smaller psu as that's over the top for your current need?

kj4547

Novice Member
All looks good to me.

Note that AMD are releasing a new B550 chipset in the next week or two, so if you don't need to purchase right now, you might want to look at swapping the motherboard choice for one of those new chipset models - it brings PCIE 4.0 graphics functionality and a few other upgrades over B450 (although it does also lose a couple of features). Most importantly, it has a longer upgrade path for future Ryzen CPUs, whereas B450 is getting one more generation (as a beta bios) and that's it.

Oh okay thank you, I was not aware that a new chipset was being released, it seems nothing is available to preorder online as of now. I may just stick to my original option, not 100% sure yet. :)

kj4547

Novice Member
I would personally prefer more SSD storage space as it helps particularly with games the size they are these days.

Go for a 1TB and offset against a smaller psu as that's over the top for your current need?

I do agree space can be an issue with the big game files these days, since posting this I have been looking at a smaller psu as 850w is probably overkill for me at the moment.:)

CARLOS

Distinguished Member
I would get a B450 max board as they have the better bios chip for the newer Ryzen CPU’s.

I do agree the PSU is overkill and a good 650w will be plenty, I would personally just get a 250gb NVme drive and use it for the OS and apps/programs, then get a separate 1TB SSD (not m.2/NVme) just a normal SSD for game, this is the setup I have and it works really well as I’m not keen on using the same drive for the OS and games

Last edited:

kj4547

Novice Member
I would get a B450 max board as they have the better bios chip for the newer Ryzen CPU’s.

I do agree the PSU is overkill and a good 650w will be plenty, I would personally just get a 250gb NVme drive and use it for the OS and apps/programs, then get a separate 1TB SSD (not m.2/NVme) just a normal SSD for game, this is the setup I have and it works really well as I’m not keen on using the same drive for the OS and games

Thanks for the advice, I am trying to decide which psu to get at the moment. When you say B450 Max do you mean the msi tomahawk max ? If not which one :)

CARLOS

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the advice, I am trying to decide which psu to get at the moment. When you say B450 Max do you mean the msi tomahawk max ? If not which one :)

Have edited my post to show the msi max boards, I would recommend one of the EVGA 650 PSU”s

CARLOS

Distinguished Member
The Tomahawk is generally the most recommended but it just depends if it has the features you want as your original choice I believe has WiFi built in ?

kj4547

Novice Member
The Tomahawk is generally the most recommended but it just depends if it has the features you want as your original choice I believe has WiFi built in ?

Yes my original choice has the wifi built in, but it is not very important because I am most likely going to use a lan cable, or if i wanted to I could always install a wifi card

Dirtschmooz

did a build recently including first 3 parts on your list. no issues so far. had eye on tomahawk but got carbon pro off classifieds for reasonable price, so went with that

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom