1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC Broke My 50' Philips

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by PlasmaExploded, Jul 17, 2004.

1. PlasmaExploded

PlasmaExploded

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I desperately require help or at the least consolation. Having had our fantastic 50" Philips plasma for some months now and enjoyed its television capabilities thoroughly, I earlier tonight decided to try it as a monitor for the first time. I read the instructions thoroughly, becoming somewhat confused by the mentioned ferrite cores, but decided they were most likely the metallic deals on either end of the monitor cables.

I hooked everything up and switched on the power. After adjusting the input to the VGA socket, I saw that the picture was flickering and realized something wasn't right. I hit the power button on the remote and found it nonfunctional. On my way to the television, it issued a sharp report like a gunshot, then another. I quickly shut off the monitor and began to sweat.

The current condition of the TV seems to be deceased. It turns on into standby mode fine, then turns on normally...but displays nothing. There is naught but blackness. I'm distraught. Does anyone know what could have gone wrong? The manual said nothing about this...it seemed quite positive about PC hookups, including a chart full of supported resolutions. Should I have hooked up more ferrite cores? Could a non-cored power chord have blown up my TV? This is a crippling loss.

2. Techno Freak

Techno Freak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bummer, I really feel for you mate.

Have you contacted the supplier for a replacement?

3. 888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ferrites are completely unrelated to your problems. They are used to limit the unwanted RF that may cause interference to other electronic equipment e.g. your cordless phone or wireless door bell.

I would seek out your supplier immediately it seems something has been damaged in the set. My guess is the connections were wrong. If you have connected it 100% according to the instructions you should be covered by the warranty if there is any left.

Best of luck.

4. PlasmaExploded

PlasmaExploded

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes we're still warrantied for parts apparently for at least a few more months. Labor expired months ago however. It seems regardless it will cost hundreds of dollars for shipping to the nearest repair facility, plus whatever rate they charge for labor. This all happened Friday night so there won't be anyone to contact until monday. I suppose it's good to know that it has nothing to do with the ferrite cores, but I have to wonder what could have caused the explosions. I have to assume it was some preexisting fault in the VGA port...it was the first time anything had been hooked up to it. I keep picturing in Apollo 13 what with the tiny part exploding having failed years earlier on installation. I'm going to take severe blame for causing this problem...it would be nice to have some nice forum evidence to back me up when explaining my situation to the other household members.

5. PlasmaExploded

PlasmaExploded

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Should I have plugged the computer into a surge protector or GFCI? I thought circuit breakers took care of weird happenings like this....

6. Dr Downey

Dr Downey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's possible that the refresh rate that you used was outside the screens capabilities, most screens will carry a warining that if you use the wrong settings you could damage your screen

Really sorry to hear your troubles, hope you get it fixed!

7. DucatiEVO

DucatiEVO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to hear that mate, but I'd go with the Dr on this one. I've seen PC monitors catch fire when the wrong refresh rate has been used. Some screens handle it better than others. Hope you get it sorted asap, I'd just tell em it's stopped working and have it fixed under warranty.

8. kpax69

kpax69
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is very dishonest and I should be shot for suggesting such a thing but..... [deleted by lynx - not such a good idea to advise this action].

9. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    Feel for you big time, but if it's still under some sort of warranty just say it stopped working : period. No need to elaborate, let them find and resolve the fault.

10. Stephen Wilde

Stephen Wilde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Don't panic and don't say anything untrue. My Fujitsu 5004 failed after a few months and was fixed under warranty. It was collected at their expense and I was given a 42" unit on loan during the repair period. All has been fine since.
    Let us know how you got on.

11. kpax69

kpax69
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The guy has already said that his warranty now only covers parts and that the labour part has expired. If he takes the advice of you guys who are telling him to get it repaired under warranty he is gonna be faced with a huge bill for labour.

Insurance is the way to go.

12. Stephen Wilde

Stephen Wilde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    His insurer will expect him to get the parts covered under warranty and will then consider the labour cost if he is covered for that. If the insurance does not cover labour and labour is not covered by the warranty there is no easy solution.

13. Stephen Wilde

Stephen Wilde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Surely shipping would be covered under the parts warranty with only a small labour charge for fitting the new part ?

14. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    Not all household insurance will cover things like a Plasma.

15. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's a difficult situation, but insurance fraud is not the solution. :nono:

16. AngryofMayfair

AngryofMayfair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personally I think it's ridiculous in this day and age to accept that any plasma input is not fully protected against an incompatible signal - if your pc has really caused the problems you have experianced then I would put the blame solidly on bad design by Philips - it doesn't cost very much to protect a VGA input from excessive scan frequencies - all this pain could have been avoided by a few additional components.
    But knowing Philips they probably do have a disclaimer in small print at the back of the manual...

17. PlasmaExploded

PlasmaExploded

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's nothing in the back of the manual but French. It's the worst manual I've ever read. There was absolutely nothing about invalid scan frequencies causing problems either...and if there was it's not relevant as there is a full page in the manual detailing the supported resolutions. Unless my PC decided to output at 111.4 Hz for the first time in its life for some reason then the resolution was fully supported.

Did any of these flaming monitors catch fire after just a few seconds of input? As soon as 2 seconds after the incident I began to strongly suspect that Philips was complicit in my monitor's destruction. You'd have to really try to make a TV that faulty. Damn it all. Thanks for the tips regarding insurance and warranty. We'll have to figure out the best mix of the both, but I doubt fraud is the right answer.

18. MrSimba

MrSimba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you made a mistake either with your conections or equipment compatibility and the plasma blew up then it was an accident as you sure did not do it deliberatly! so in my book thats 'accidental damage' no need to pretend to drop it on the floor just take it up with your insurers.

Good luck in getting it sorted

19. spanky2k

spanky2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    First of all a tv should not blow up when connected to a pc if it has a pc's connector on it. It should be able to handle any refresh rates no matter what they are even if its not designed to use them, it just shouldn't display them. A 50" Plasma is the top of the line, the ueber-monster with the highest spec. It should work fine.
    The manufacturer should repair it/replace it free of charge if its within its first year of warranty. If its not then your Insurance company should replace it. I don't think labour comes into it. You should simply call up Philips and speak to them although be prepared to be agitated. Tech support lines are b@$tards at times. Raise your voice a little but whatever you do, DON'T swear.

You did nothing wrong. The TV obviously had a fault to begin with.

20. Stephen Wilde

Stephen Wilde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    All goods must be fit for purpose and of reasonable quality. You can ignore the warranty and rely on your common law rights.
    Tell supplier that is what you intend to do and if you do not get cooperation try a Solicitor's letter threatening an application to the County Court.
    That should get them to concede labour as well as parts or at least offer a compromise.

21. Stephen Wilde

Stephen Wilde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Are you in the UK? I note reference to dollars. Advice applies to England and Wales only but other jurisdictions might have something similar.

22. PlasmaExploded

PlasmaExploded

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The official owner of the TV has been apprised of the happenings and is rather morose about the whole thing, as is to be expected. I'm rather frustrated with him, as a matter of fact, as he's chosen to pay Philips some ridiculous amount of money for some sort of repair package rather than arbitrate with either them or our insurers. I've asked for the receipts so that I can pursue it myself but have yet to see them. He seems to think that the only way to insure any sort of coverage is to spend money. Damnit all I say. The thing had better not explode the next time a PC is attached to it, or some other device. I should find out more details about this fee he's decided to pay, and what it entitles him to. If it's anything less than an immediate upgrade/replacement I think he's getting the run-around, as is his custom in expensive transactions. It's out of my hands now though. Thanks one and all for the help.