PC based VR console in the works.

Atmos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always predicted a VR console was coming.

Slightly Mad Studios is developing a “stand alone console,” that will support VR, CEO Ian Bell revealed Wednesday.

The Twitter account of Ian Bell, CEO of Slightly Mad Studios cryptically tweeted “The Mad Box is coming” on Wednesday.

When reached for more details, Bell told Varietythat the console will ship in “around three years time” and that “it will be a console as is the Xbox or Playstation.”

Slightly Mad Studios’ CEO Reveals Details on New Console (EXCLUSIVE)

I still think Valve will release a SteamVR based console first though.

With Nvidia pricing pretty much everyone out of next gen cards there’s a huge gap for an affordable PC based console powered by AMD.

A console that supports OpenXR and supports all HMDs. It’s what could kick Nvidia into line and bring GPU prices down to competitive levels.

A console with one interface and one home screen where everyone is welcome.

Goodbye Revive, goodbye exclusives.

One console for all.

woefully under powered, cant be updated (hardware) and will be massively overpriced.
Its failed before its started. Its just a steam machine with more bits.

Once PS5 and PSVR2 arrive PCVR will struggle even more as Nvidia charge premium prices for self gain. Sony is more about mass adoption than profiteering.

A PCVR console will bridge the gap.

I just cant see consumers buying another console just for VR, when they can just get a PSVR setup. Or if they already have a PC, just get a headset that's currently available.
The best option for this area of growth is to let Sony and M$ adopt VR into their eco systems.

But a lot of people don't want the expense of buying a PCVR headset with lighhouses and then PSVR with another tracking solution. Or have to disconnect a wheel from the PC to connect to PS5. Its easier just to have one VR solution or the other.

It may be all VR headsets go inside out tracking and future Wheels and HOTAS have wifi connection meaning less wire and better connection for multiple consoles.

But with PCVR stagnating due to high entry cost and no sign from Nvidia things are going to change a PCVR console seem sensible to me.

If in three years the choice is a £2000 PC to run wide FOV or a £700 console I'm sure a lot of people will choose the £700 console if it gave RTX2080ti performance.

Or lets all buy PS5 and be stuck in another locked ECO system we all dread.

SMS are a small software house known for making public funded, mediocre games.

Don't believe a word Ian Bellend says.

And anyway, what will the major console manufacturers be offering in 2 years?

upload_2019-1-3_17-28-33.png

No I want 90fps, infact if its not going to be out for at least three years. I want 120fps and 8k.

Once PS5 and PSVR2 arrive PCVR will struggle even more as Nvidia charge premium prices for self gain. Sony is more about mass adoption than profiteering.

A PCVR console will bridge the gap.

PSVR2 won't appear until at least the PS5 launch and by that time other manufacturers will have wireless options available so the chances they will gain traction is very unlikely. The PSVR has been a flop if you consider its sales versus the competition.

I love VR but I personally think that the technology is just going to flop like 3D and that's why we haven't seen Microsoft enter the market.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom