PC +AV set-up. No surround sound problem

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by doughy1882, May 5, 2007.

1. doughy1882

doughy1882
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

I'm having some problems getting surround sound out of my PC and wondered it anyone can help. I have search the forums but with no specific query it's hard to narrow it down, so apologies if this has already been discussed.

I am running a Asus M2R32-MVP mobo with an S/Pdif output on the back. I assume this is where I plug my coaxial digi cable?

The 5.1 works fine if I plug the coax from my DVD to the receiver but as soon as I plug it into the PC it only gives stereo.

The sound drivers that come with my mobo have all the options for digi out but when I select 5.1 it says I should be plugging in the small headphone plugs and does not mention the spdif.

I can only guess that the coax doesn't go in the spdif, or I need new drivers..

2. Stompy

Stompy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    On some motherboards, surround sound signals will only be sent over s/pdif when the source sound is in 5.1 dolby digital or dts, e.g when watching a DVD etc. If you aren't getting 5.1 when playing DVDs, try enabling s/pdif passthrough in your dvd playing software.

Most other signals from the PC, e.g playing music etc., are only 2 channel. If the PC did send a 5.1 signal, it would only be upmixed anyway, and this can probably be done by a setting on the reciever.

Hope this helps :)

3. tinners

tinners

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    Try downloading AC3filter and see if the sound is being input and output in multichannel.

4. doughy1882

doughy1882
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I downloaded that but still am unable to get sound out of all speakers.

When I run the wizard on the SoundMAX software that comes with my mobo there is a test page that sends white noise to each speaker. Only the front two speakers respond.

Plug the coax into the dvd and all six work so I'm guess it must be something to do with the mobo or the software.

In fact my previous mobo had 5.1 sound and I could never get that to work either so something is wrong. This is getting rather annoying..

5. Si_B

Si_B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I have the same problem with an Asus P5K-E mobo using the on board coax into my amp. Does anyone have a solution to this?

Thanks