PC - AV Connectivity

pthomson

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Can anyone advise how i can stream HD Blueray rips to both my TV via HDMI and to my AMP via my Asus Sonar DX sound card.

I assume that i can use my existing optical out on the Sonar DX and some sort of DVI - HDMI cable from my PC - TV?

NB: This is only a temporaly solution while i save for a Popcorn Hour Media Tank.

In short, yes that is a good solution.
The only limitation you may reach is high bit rate video needs a lot of processing power.
PS I have an A110, you've got to go through the tutorials but I'm very happy with it.

Hi I have a fairly decent sound card and processing power to burn (see sig) - can anyone suggest some cables? NB: The DVI - HDMI is only a temporay solution.

Also can someone advise as to how much data/quality i will be losing in the transfer?

:hiya:

The only limitation you may reach is high bit rate video needs a lot of processing power.

Can you elaborate on this statement? I.e., can you see anything wrong with my setup? Also, will i lose that much quality when going from DVI - HDMI?

Edit: Just seen this, it appears that DVI and HDMI are the same in terms of image quality which means i shouldn't lose anything :thumbsup:

Last edited:
hiya, its very simple todo, i have mine setup using a 7m DVI-D cable with a PureAV DVI-HDMI converter straight into TV's HDMI, then audio running into my AV Receiver with a RCA coax cable. The settings to get ur card to output straight sound (I.E if source video/audio file is stereo ur AVR will play it as such or if its got DTS codec the AVR will automatically play it with DTS, etc etc) is down to you reading the manual.

I guess your wanting to play mkv container files. if so i recommend MPC (media player classic) with FFDshow as all other programs i tried gave video tearing when the video was transferred to plasma. (VLC was the worst for video tearing)

Hi, many thanks for the advice. I'm going to be using the basic windows extend desktop to stream my media the the TV - is this best way?

Have just found this thread which doesn't go as far to answer my question but i can confirm that both my 4870 cards support HDCP and HDMI which should eliminate any concerns about PC performance.

Can anyone help with regards to outputting HD though?

Would it be possible to output an 720p HD movie and also use my PC / play games?

Regards,

Paul

Last edited:
i can watch a 1080p mkv film on the plasma, burn a dvd and play pkr poker all at same time, so long as computer is good spec should be alright, its helps if u can set the program running the video file to use hardware acceleration (often named different things in different programs) I.E the program makes ur graphics card take most the brunt from the video file instead of ur processor and memory.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom