PC audio -> TV scart - no sound

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by markav, Jul 24, 2005.

1. markav

markav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Got my MCE working reasonably well, but only if I use a set of PC speakers plugged into the green socket on the onboard audio.

I want to play sound through my TV amp/speakers.

I have a Y connector, that splits a mini-stereo jack into 2 full-sized phono sockets. I plug that into the same, known-good green socket.

Then run a pair of phono cables to the TV's SCART (I have one of those scart dongles with a break-out to S-Video and 2 audio phono's).

Not a peep do I hear.

Would you expect the signal to work, and I likely have a cabling problem, or am I barking up the wrong tree entirely?

TIA

Mark

2. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    These scart adapters are usually directional, unless you have a switchabe one.

Maybe yours is an output version?

Dave

3. markav

markav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the suggestion Dave. I do have a switchable one (own lots of lovely gold-plated connecters and plugs from Lectropac, who are just down the road), and the video is going in fine.

Stranger still, I installed a very old Aureal Vortex 2 card, connected the Y connecter to the audio-out and got sound on the TV.

Very low volume, so I have to whack the TV volume up to nearly maximum and that introduced hum, so not a real solution.

But the PC speakers work exactly the same plugged into the Aureal card as the on-board sound. But the connection to the SCART only works (sort of) from the Aureal.

Confused; you bet.

Mark

4. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which on board sound is it? I use Soundmax and it autodetects what is connected. Can you select between headphones/speakers/amp etc?

Dave

5. markav

markav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio. And the strange thing it has burst into life.

The only thing I did differently, I think, is to boot with the lead to the TV connected. I think before I had booted with either nothing connected or the PC (amplified) speakers.

Looks like you are dead right and the auto-detect was foiling me.

TVM for the tip :)

Mark

6. rogereye

rogereye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Just responding to MARKAV's mention about buying something from LECTROPAC 'which was just down the road from him'. I really need to contact this company but I can't find any phone number or e-mail address for them. Are they still in business - does anyone know?