• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

PC audio player solution needed.

iemslie

Since selling my Squeezebox I’ve been using several different PC media players while I decide on what I’d like to replace the SB with.
Perhaps I’ll end up with a Touch or something a little more ‘fancy’, not sure yet.
In the meantime though, I’ve also been toying with the idea of using the PC and a software media player with audio out to a DAC of some sort. In fact to get an idea of how this might work I bought one of these
BEHRINGER: UFO202 (work pretty well for the price)

I’d also like the ability to use my Android phone as a remote, not only to control the software but also to bring the PC out of sleep and start the media player software.
Basically I want to be able to walk through the door, start and app on my phone, search for a track and play it. Without having to walk over to the PC to switch it on use the mouse or the monitor. From my initial investigation this might be the hardest part. As a former iPeng user with the Squeezebox the new app’s gonna have to be pretty special.

Here’s my list of requirements

Software media player
Windows 7 compatible
Plays music well to a good quality – support for hi-res a real plus
Must support all common formats especially FLAC
Support for album art
Decent responsive layout, not too clunky or crowded
Selectable audio output (which doesn’t affect the OS output, e.g. player outputs to DAC, but OS outputs to PC speakers)
Software starts with OS, minimised to tray and ready for use
Not too demanding on the system so I can run several other things at the same time.
Free (if possible) or cheap.

Remote control
Android app compatible with 2.3.3
Control of PC media player as follows:-
Wake on LAN
Start/stop software
Volume control
Browse by artist and album
Search function
Album art
Play, pause etc.
Not too demanding on the system
Decent responsive layout, not too clunky or crowded
As close to iPeng as possible basically :D

Right, that’s all (!) I need and I’d be really interested if anyone is using a similar set-up successfully.
I’ll start investigating and post back as I find anything useful too.

Cheers.

nacmacfeegle

Distinguished Member
You've probably already got it installed, Squeezeboxserver.
The PC can be set up as 'virtual squeezebox' running squeezeplay.
I'm an Ipeng user but hear good things about Squeeze Commander.

The set up should be familiar to you.....;)

amcluesent

Distinguished Member
>I want to be able to walk through the door,<

Can you rig the house alarm to activate WOL :)

iemslie

You've probably already got it installed, Squeezeboxserver.
The PC can be set up as 'virtual squeezebox' running squeezeplay.
I'm an Ipeng user but hear good things about Squeeze Commander.

The set up should be familiar to you.....;)

Well I'd been thinking along those lines already and have had a play around with Softsqeeze, Squeezeplay and Squeezeslave. I even forked out for the Squeeze commander app just for a play around.

Squeezeplay is a non starter because it won't output to a DAC when there's a default soundcard on the PC. I've checked and it's not an option

Softsqueeze works ok, but keeps bombing out and stuttering. I've tried the server on my NAS and on the PC. Plus tried the nightly builds to no avail.

Squeezeslave does work well and apparantly can be configured to output to a DAC, but I can't work out how to do it yet. I'm using this with Moose as a front end and think I'll perservere for a bit. Perhaps post for help on Logitech forums if no one can help here.

Will report back later. Cheers.

iemslie

Well I've had a few days tinkering with Squeezeslave and it's working pretty well now.
Had to ask on Slimdevice forum for help with the command line arguments and it's now configured to output to the Behringer DAC and it sounds pretty good.
Running the command prompt window through NirCMD, so the window is hidden. SBS and Squeezeslave launch in the background when the PC is turned on or woken up. Using Squeeze Commander on HTC Desire S to control everything including wake on lan for the PC. Pretty pleased with the results.
Cheers.

Fyper

Standard Member
Well I've had a few days tinkering with Squeezeslave and it's working pretty well now.
Had to ask on Slimdevice forum for help with the command line arguments and it's now configured to output to the Behringer DAC and it sounds pretty good.
Running the command prompt window through NirCMD, so the window is hidden. SBS and Squeezeslave launch in the background when the PC is turned on or woken up. Using Squeeze Commander on HTC Desire S to control everything including wake on lan for the PC. Pretty pleased with the results.
Cheers.

Interested in knowing how you did that.
Is there a thread or a tutorial on this?
Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom