1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC as a video recorder

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Stampax, May 11, 2003.

1. Stampax

Stampax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I am hoping to use my PC as a video recorder in my new house,but have it hooked up to the TV for when i actually want to watch my recordings.
    Does anyone else use their PC in this way, or does everyone on here use their PC as an entire home entertainment system?
    I was wodnering what the qualkity would be like, and if there are any Tivo style programmes i can use for recording on the PC. Any software or hardware recomendations for what i would need to do this would be much appreciated.

2. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This can get tricky; it depends on your budget and/or your level of expertise. What have you got available?

3. Stampax

Stampax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Expertise is reasonable - at the very least i know people who could probably turn their hand to anything, if there was soemthing i couldnt do.
    In terms of budget, im looking to add to my existing PC - which is a resaonable speed/Ram etc - though has a poor video card which i imagine will need updating. I've probably got another hundred quid or two that i couldn spend on buying the software/hardware - though i'd appreciate if you could tell me what i'd need regardless as id be very interested in doing this at some point even if it was too expsensive now.
    Cheers

4. Threadkiller

Threadkiller
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use a normal TV card, Pinnacle Rave using the composite input, and showshifter software with DIVX pro codecs, combined with digiguide, not perfect, but it works well

5. dannyc

dannyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you have digital tv reception then the Nebula card or new USB version is the best answer I have found, much better than the Hauppage which is much more unreliable. Combined with any Radeon video card with a TV out and that should do.

Search the forum for more details on both

Dan

6. mij

mij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +627
    I used to do this with my Matrox Marvel G400 (Hardware MJPEG) built in TV Tuner and PCVCR software, I think the "All in wonder Radeons" do a similar thing with features such as record and pause live TV and some have an RF Remote control.

If you are interested for a price, I still have my old Matrox Marvel which works perfect with everthing except Win XP.

More info here:
    http://www.matrox.com/mga/products/marv_g400/home.cfm

mij

7. Underscore

Underscore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do what you describe. My set-top DVD player and VCR are both stuck in the attic. I have a Nebula DTT card which I use to record from Freeview and I use the S-video out of my Radeon 9000 to the TV when I'm not using the projector. It must be said that the quality to the TV is not as good a something designed to drive TVs - and so I still use my Pace DTVA to watch TV quite frequently. Ultimately I intend to replace the TV with a widescreen LCD monitor, which should be much better, but what you want to do can be done if you are willing to sacrifice a little quality when watching stuff on your TV.

HTH,

_

8. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,971
    One thing that's confusing me with this is how you get more than one audio source into a PC for video capture. I can't remember if my PB TV100 has audio inputs (don't think so) but it seems to me audio goes into the soundcard line in. My amp doesn't seem to have an audio monitor out so it seems you can only have one audio source connected to the soundcard. I'd like to have at least Sky and my Video connected so I can capture both of those, what's the best way to do this?

Cheers,
    Andy.