1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC and HD Trailer Advice

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by domtheone, Oct 27, 2005.

1. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Not sure if this is the right forum becuase it's not raely about games but... :rolleyes:

I have the following PC

AMD Athlon XP 2500 + (CPU 333mhz) (also says 1.83mhz when I right click MY Computer

Asus A7N8X-VM Motherboard

512 MB of DDR Ram (2700) 2 x 256 sticks

80GB HD (7200) with 2mb buffer and a 128mb Nvidia Geforce FX 500 gfx card

I don't play pc games and most of what I use my pc for, it's plenty fast enough.

The only area it struggles is playing HD files (i'm aware that the specs for HD files are above what I have so it's no surprise realy).

I've a number of files/trailers and such like.

Strangely (or not maybe!) it will play most 720p WMV files ok but stutters quite a bit with Apple Quicktime 720p files.

Now it's not such a big deal that I want to go out and replace my pc but I was just wondering whether there was something cheap I could to to give my pc a little boost.

I've noticed that RAM (say 512mb) is pretty cheap, £30-£50 and was wondering if this would have any inpact (at all) on the ability of my pc to play the HD files that I have.

TIA

2. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    If you have a decent cooler for your cpu i recomend you do a simple over clock. Go into the bios and see if you can change the front side bus (FSB) from 166 to 200. This will bring your pc upto 3.2 athlon. I have my system currently doing this, and its free.

Otherwise rip out the ram you have and buy a 1gig pair (2x512 sticks) as 512 is getting a bit long in the tooth, this will probably be about £70 if you buy decent branded stuff (don't get generic/cheapo you'll regret it)

You could get a graphics card that does HD acceleration but that'll cost a bit really and sa you don't play games would be a waste.

Get uptodate motherboard and graphics card drivers!, make sure you have the latest codecs and player for apple and otherthings you use, once you've done all off the free suggestions then you could try aome more ram. This may help as xp is a bit greardy but generaly more ram does speed a pc up, especialy if your using cheapo stuff at the mo.

3. Digger

Digger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +206
  4. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Thanks for the replies guys.

If I add ram, does it have to be the same rating (2700 currently)?

5. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    You can put in faster stuff in and just run it at the slower speed, just make sure its ddr 1.

6. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Crucial have got a good memory checker on their site where they guarantee the right memory for your system. I always order my RAM from them and are thoroughly recommended! :)

7. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    ok, thanks

I checked their site out. Put in my details and it told me I only have 2 slots for memory :( . Least it saved me opening up my pc, lol!

I guess this means i'd have to rip out 1 or both of the memory currently in (2 x 256).

Do they have to be the same, eg 2 x 256, 2 x 512 or could you have 1 x 256 and 1 x 512 or 1gb, etc etc?

Thanks

8. NWhiteley

NWhiteley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    how do i get into the bios?

9. NWhiteley

NWhiteley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    sorted

10. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Your best to keep the sizes matched as some systems don't take kindly (although most would be fine) a 2x512MB would cost anywhere from £55 - 90 from a decent manufacturer, don't buy generic though as you'll only be disapointed when you pc crashes or frezes or otherwise deosn't perform they way it should.

11. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Its usualy del or f1 or f3, it'll pop up asking you to press it when your computer first starts up, if you can't find it check your motherboard manual out.

12. NWhiteley

NWhiteley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    i have adjusted the fsb from 200 to 215 (any higher and the pc wont open up), and now i have to re-register and re-validate my copy of windows, also as the computer opens up, before the xp logo appears, something about the raid controller appears for about 10 seconds and then opens up as usual. is this normal? is there anything i can do to stop the raid options appearing?

13. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    There is will be an option somehwere for raid where you can disable it, usualy onboard appliances or something. Its unfortunite that you have had to re-register windows, it is normal for you on board raid to show up a messege, like no drives connected. Moving your fsb up from 200 to 215 prbably wouldn't give the same boost as going from 166 -> 200 but its all free so its good :). Just make sure you check the temps out, before you start when you use your comp normaly and then when you really thrash it, if the temps look really high then you maybe should return the fsb bus as before, but you can always post any thought up on the forum too.

14. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,121
    I've got an XP2200+, a Ti4400 GF4 and 512mb of 3200 ram and that plays HD stuff perfectly. It used to stutter and pause all the time before I started using VLC media player but now everything plays spot on! I therefore would say that the stuttering & pausing was due to not having the right codecs as opposed to the fact that my PC will probably appear on Antiques Roadshow next week. :smashin:

15. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    I tried a few alternatives, QT alternative, WMV 10 and then tried that VLC you mentioned.

Verdict: HD 720p files play vey well now. Virtually no slowdown/lag. I did trya a 1080p file though and that was still iffy, not surprisingly :D

None of my Harry Potter HD trailers have any sound when played through VLC though :rolleyes:

Thanks for the advice anyway:thumbsup:

16. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Just an addition to that. A number of recent trailers (quicktime) 720p that i've downloaded of late play without sound when through the VLC player.

Can't be the trailer as it plays with sound if I play it with Quicktime, only then the trailer stutters and freezes like mad :rolleyes:

Anyone aware of an issue with the VLC media player playing quicktime movies without sound :lease:

17. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    You should download mplayer it plays everything I've thrown at it flawlessly!

18. mrolympia

mrolympia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've also had problems playing certain HD Trailers. I have tried VLC, ThearteTek, mplayer.

I have a shuttle with
    Intel P4 with Hyper threading 3Ghz
    2 GB Memory
    200GB hard drive
    winfast 6600GT 256MB

can the monitor slow down the HD clip? I have a cheap Digimate TFT screen with max resolution of 1280x1024.
    When the video pauses the HDD light goes mad for around 4 seconds then stops then the clip continues.

I shut down all other programs running in the background, all DVD and normal movies work fine, just HD material.

I also have the klmcodec137 codecs installed which is every codec you can think of.

19. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    You shouldn't have any problem playing these, make sure you have upto date graphics and motherboard drivers especialy the IDE host controler one, plus make sure your harddrive is on DMA not the other one.

20. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    dont worry anyone stuggling to run apple's HD trailers as they are encoded with H.264. its new technology and its absolutly immense quality but it eats the system. in this PC (A64 3200+, 6800 ultra) the 720p clips chugs along and 1080p is impossible it goes to slideshow mode, same when i tried it on a 3Ghz P4. apple say it should run on medium systems but thats not the reality. i think blu-ray is adopting this codec, admitted its a wise decision as the quality is unrival'd

21. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    I've actually managed to sort my VLC media programme problem. Got an upate to VLC and QT files play fine now.

Only a tiny bit of stutter now on some 720p files.

1080p is still a no no though. No surprise on my system given what KopitetillGerrardgoes said :D

22. Tojal City

Tojal City
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well, here’s my experience using the HD trailers from Apple. When I try to see the clips in Quicktime my systems struggles a lot, but when I use Real Player or Media Player Classic it read just fine, with no slowdown at all.
    So isn’t possible that Apple has a little bit of fault with this new Quicktime player?

23. Drogo

Drogo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Guys, Ive downloaded the Pioneer HD demo along with the Sony HD demo and Hitichi HD Demo, all look amazing and run at 1080 ... my system is a AMD 64 3000 running 2 gig of ram, 700Gig HD, twin 6600GT 128MB PCI-E Cards....

Mind you thats some serious specs to run these hi-def clips ...

But all of the 1080 clips play fine through media player 9/10 and Nero Showtime, but as for apple HD trailers I get the green start screen and then nothing ...

Now, seeing that I've got a Plasma PWD6 42" Plasma (My baby) should I wait for a new HD screen, and go out and buy say the Panasonic A700 HD projector ????

24. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    I think as people suspect, apple is to blame for the problems that are out there (flame suit on, from those apple fanatics) the question you have to ask your self how much content is there out there for HD. If you were buying a brand new screen today then the advise would be to spend a little extra to get HD and future proof, but as you already own one i would wait until the content comes out, better and cheaper screens will be availible then.

Ofcourse if you just want a better PJ i wouldn't stand in your way :p

25. Drogo

Drogo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    gazbarber, thanks for your advive m8 .. Just not sure if Panasonic A700 would be overkill for my size lounge and at a £1,000... Will have to away and think about it ... But again to recap - anybody that is after HD demo - look through HD newsgroups for demos from Pioneer, Sony and Hitaichi (spelling!!) ... and then use PC to stream...

Hope this helps..

26. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Glad to hear this, thought it was just my pc. I tried running a 480p h.264 file and had problems :blush: What's weird is that I've been able to play WMV-HD 1080p clips in the past with no problem!? :confused: