1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pc - amp what connection

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by kopite, Apr 25, 2003.

1. kopite

kopite
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all.

Not sure which forum this should be in but here seems a good bet.

Right what connection is best from my pc to amp.

AT the mom I have a digital connection but will the dac in the amp be better than my pooter on?

2. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Answer: Use both analogue and digital.

Why: Because PC soundcards can't encode analogue surround sound into digital form (yes, even the latest SoundBlaster Audigy 2). This is only really important if you play PC games as they use analogue surround (4 channels, DD5.1 in PC games is coming soon). Only the nVidia nForce SoundChip used on various motherboards can actually encode analogue surround into digital (this is the same chip used in the Xbox). However, for DVD movies (in DD surround sound) and playback of stereo sources your digital connection will do fine. For PC games with 4 channel surround sound use two sets of 3.5mm ---> RCA Phono connectors, the 3.5mm jack end goes in your PC soundcards front and rear outputs, and the RCA phono into the 5.1 analogue inputs in your amp (plug it into the front and rear inputs, ignore the centre and LFE inputs....it's basically the same connectors one would use to hook up DVD-Audio/SACD players to their AV amp).

You ARE using a Surround sound amp aren't you, not a stereo one?

3. kopite

kopite
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Im using a yamaha dsp 630 ax amp at the mom :D

I`ll buy a 3.5 - phono connecter today and get it hooked up.

I`ve been using a ca optical interconnect so far but wasnt sure what I should really be using

4. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Remember of you're using a single 3.5 --> RCA connector then you won't get surround sound in your PC games, just stereo.

Check to see if your amp has analogue 5.1 inputs (they're basically RCA connections, there would be 6 of them), and plug your sound card into these.

What soundcard are you using?

5. kopite

kopite
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ATM I`m using the onboard soundcard that came with my soyo mobo.

its better than an sblive and just under the audigy.

it can do 6.1 surround hehe.

My amp can handle the 6 channel analogue out if memory serves. i`ll have a look tonight.

6. kopite

kopite
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  7. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes that's the one, your mobo will have 3.5mm outputs on the back of your PC. Check the manuel for your motherboard to see if it has more than one analogue out. My mobo has an onboard 6.1 digital out (optical) but only has one analogue output, there are two other 3.5mm jacks but one is for a microphone and the other is a 'line-in'. Check for this too.

If it doesn't have one then you may be stuck with stereo sound for your PC games, unless you're not bothered.

:smashin:

8. kopite

kopite
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Mine has 1 output for front and one for rear as well as a centre one if memory serves :D

i`ll get 2 of them soon