1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC Advice please...

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Lex, Jul 15, 2002.

1. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi there,

My main desktop computer just died and I am going to put together another one and I was hoping for a little advice - I want to be able to run new games on it, although I do not want to spend a fortune on a graphics card (apprx £100). I saw this one which looked good: http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=33748

It is a GeForce3 ti200 128mb DDR. I thought it sounded pretty good for £88!

I am also gonna buy a Soltek SL-75DRV5 motherboard with 256mb DDR 2100 RAM. For now I can't really afford a new processor as well so was going to use my newish Duron950.

Thoughts or recommendations would be really appreciated!

2. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
  3. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,016
    Hi Lex

I have the very same motherboard myself, and a Ge-Force 3 Ti200 Prophet (paid twice that last year).

The motherboard is a cracker and you get plenty of stuff bundled with it. What processor are you getting/got?

Fancy a Ge-Force 4 myself but I will have to wait a long time for my next upgrade.

4. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Interesting JSW. Thanx. I didn't realise GeForce 4s had come down in price so much. :eek:

Great, so you would recommend the motherboard. There are so many out there it is tough to pick one, but the soltek has some good reviews, and your personal recommendation just about seals it! :D

I only have a Duron 950 processor which I will continue to use for a while until I can afford something better.

5. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    You could try the ECS K7S5A which I'm using for my htpc, and the latest ones will go up to 2gig, so you could always upgrade the cpu later. It also takes ddr memory.

Seems very stable, and is a bargain at only £50 (ebuyer.com).

HTH

Gary.

6. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,016
    You can get one at Dabs for about £75 I do not know if this is the limit reached for free postage, if there is any thing else you are looking at from Dabs cheaper than that I would consider getting it at the same time as P&P is about £5. The board has multipliers 5.5 to 12.5 in increments of .5 has CPU clock of 100, 133, 140, 150, 166MHz or FSBB200, 266, 280, 300, 333MHz.