PC able to fry a DLP ?

R

Reeks

Hello all,

A couple of years ago I tried overclocking my PC. Naïvely I thought it would beep, slow to a crash, or simply shutdown. It didn't of course. It fried my CPU almost instantly. In my ignorance I'd just blown a couple of hundred for all of 0 seconds of fun. It's a sickening feeling, really.

Having explained that, please forgive my COMPLETE beginners question here: I want to plug my PC into my Sagem Axium HD-45 DLP without fear of blowing anything up.

I've been running the TV with joy on Sky+, Xbox etc through Scart. I've been using the DVI-d for my Samsung HD850 with no problems (set at 720p)

It might sound stupid to any experts out there, but I remember the Pre-Mutisync monitor days when it was very easy to pop a monitor by putting the wrong resolution and frequency through the VGA (!).

I currently run a reasonable standard PC, with a Nvidia GeforceFX 5800 graphic card. The card has DVI out (I use it for my second monitor -LCD). I haven't tried plugging it into my TV instead, but did investigate the advanced properties beforehand. Nvidia has an expansive disclaimer against damage before you can proceed!... thus my fear.

Hehe, I did I say I was a beginner at this ? ANY advice is most welcome, please.

Oh, and I'll be plugging it in "blind" to start with .. there's no way I'm lugging my big CRT first monitor downstairs again. That stays in the house when I move!

I have pumped too much of a resolution/frequency into a couple of projectors(some almost antique), they simply display 'Frequency out Of Range' warning. Nowadays I think its almost impossible to blow a display just by sending it a standard resolution/frequency (note 'standard' - dont start hand tweaking them if you dont know what your doing)
Try plugging your display to the PC after setting the PC to 800x600@60hz (min spec now i think) and see if Windows detects it - then try upping the resolution then frequency - if you have a 1280x720 projector dont start with 1900x1600@120hz ;) but 1280x1024@80hz will probaly work. Most shoulf give you the 'out of range' warning or downscale the image.
good luck, and enjoy :)

Excellent, thank you :)

I pretty much assumed that was the case, but it's always good to hear.

If anyone knows anything about specific frequencies/optimum settings for this kind of thing of course it would be appreciated.

Actually, come to think about it - is there any notable difference between DVI-d and just DVI ?

Hi Reeks there's a few over at the rear projection forum who have got a Sagem Axium HD-45
I'm sure a few have got their PC's hooked up via DVI with a res of 1280x720 it's supposed to give really good results.

Reeks said:
Actually, come to think about it - is there any notable difference between DVI-d and just DVI ?

Apart from the difference between digital and analogue? In all reality it'll depend on your source and display but 5 of those pins carry RGBHV analogue.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom