Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Pc 120 Vertical Smear Problem

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by pualhughes01, May 2, 2003.

1. pualhughes01

pualhughes01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently bought a Sony PC 120 Pal DV camera in the UK. Taken it out a few time in daytime and night and it has the most horrendous vertical smear problem anytime you go anywhere near a hottish lightsource. If you're not aware of what a vertical smear is it's when the chip produces a hard line from top to bottom of the screen, normally when it hits a light source. The light source will mark the middle of the vertical smear.

That means if you shoot when walking down a street with shops in the evening there will be dozens of lines fron top to bottom from the shop signs. Also, filming in an office with artificial light is awful.

Is this characteristic normal on cameras like the PC 120 or is it just the unit I've bought? I've used Sony DVcam cameras before and it's not on them. I'd love to know other users' experience before I go back to the retailer and kick up hell (although it's domestic it's not that cheap a camera).

Thanks in advance

Paul.