1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PB2+ My initial review - OMG!

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by juniper, Jun 19, 2004.

1. juniper

juniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    This is intended as a far from scientific, technical, or comprehensive review, but is meant as purely thoughts on my new PB2+, which arrived yesterday. I should probably say before I start that I've had to almost calm myself down before writing it (yes it is that good), and that I hope only to give my thoughts in a way to perhaps help (either way) others who may have gone through the same thought process in terms of deciding to buy one of these items from SVS.

Having read an awful lot of reviews on this forum, AVS, Hometheaterforum, Secrets and elsewhere, I started by e-mailing SVS and asking them for their thoughts on my current set up. What I got back very quickly from Ron at SVS was an extremely balanced and incredibly professional response, going through my budget, likes/dislikes etc. I was very very impressed immediately - there was no hard sell, no pressure, what i received was information that helped me to make (as far as I could) an informed decision.

That decision I found still very difficult, as you are shelling out a not inconsiderable amount of money on something you have never heard, is going to be flown in on a plane etc., and so it is a bit of a leap of faith, or it was for me. Anyway, this is not about how I reached the decision.....

Nothing could have prepared me for how big or heavy it is. It is 25" high, 28" long, and my pallet (which is cork) and the subwoofer weighed 75.5kg! It would be, I would say, impossible for one person to lift it.

Putting it into position in place of my MJ Accoustics Pro 100 sub. (about to go into the classifieds), it fulfills the term "the beast" before it was even plugged in. I prepared myself, or so I thought.

I decided to calibrate it straight away (I surprised myself, I'm normally more impatient!), running Avia test tones, and I knew straight away that this was no leap of faith any more. I found that even running the test sweep with my SPL meter set at about 65dB was starting to make things in the room shake - this had to be corrected by means of phase contols, and I ended up with a fairly clean sweep which went way way way on down to levels which I couldn't hear but I could feel in my bones. I could wait no more....

I put on the opening of Toy Story 2, and I can only describe what I heard as utterly and totally outstanding bass. I've watched this scene a gazillion times, and found myself awestruck at the whole experience. Next was scene 6 from Jurassic Park III, which had me thinking the T Rex was in the room. gain was at between a quarter and a third, and I had to turn it down! I next played (of course) the Pod Race, a scene I've always thought on DVD was never quite as good as it was as at the cinema....until now. It was throbbing, pulsating, exciting. I'm 40 years old and I was 14 again!! The next thing I played almost had me gasping for breath.....

Thanks to Ian J and Nimby's errrr..suggestion (I think that's what it was, although the health warning they gave should have been much much stronger), I played the Darla fishtank scene from Finding Nemo. If I thought that I was allowed to swear now I would, but I make absolutely no apologies for capitals - IT ABSOLUTELY STAGGERED ME - the windows and walls and floor and sofa all went in and out up and down at once - I was in the fishtank! I have heard in my time lots of loud (and overplayed) demos in the backrooms of AV stores before, some of them (or most) you end up (or I do) thinking, "well, I wouldn't have played it that loud anyway, and that's why the attack seems so impressive". This is not what I have just heard. I felt like I had been catapulted somewhere and back again. It made me smile so much I played it again - about 17 times, and it did the same thing again to me every time. I am in Home Cinema heaven.

I finished my first session with the opening and the stampede from the Lion King, the sock explosion from Monster's Inc. and then the factory scene from Minority Report. In each, I not only heard (and felt) the thunderous and sensational bass, but I heard in each scene other things I don't think I've heard before. To say I was smiling and happy would be the biggest and most inept understatement of all time. It also stops on a button - for a thunderous smack to just stop in an instant is something I can not even describe to you.

Tonight I'll be looking forwards to some U-571, das Boot and I reckon some Saving Private Ryan, maybe Behind Enemy Lines or Black Hawk Down, or even some T2. I haven't tried any music yet, but I think that Fleetwood Mac and Eagles on DVD-A and also Frankie Goes to Hollywood on SACD are going to leave me appreciating them more than ever, and thanking SVS for bringing this thing of utter joy into my world. In fact I'll probably have to play my whole DVD collection all over again.

Sorry I know this is overlong already, so I'll shut up - I need to go back to listening to it, looking at it, worshipping it, appreciating it. I just had to put this down in words. I've read a lot of other people writing about SVS subwoofers, and I've thought sometimes that they were just too excitable, perhaps hearing a "proper" subwoofer for the first time, or maybe even employees of SVS drumming up support for their product. Well all I'll say is that I am now in the fortunate position of knowing just how they feel. I am indeed a lucky man.

If anyone wants to know any more about the PB2+, I'll try to tell you if I can. I'm not into graphs of frequency dips or anything - sorry it's just too technical for me. What I want to do is listen to something that gives me the excitement of the movies, the rush, the power, that you can only get when you've ended up where you thought you wanted to go in the first place when you got into Home Cinema. I have arrived.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Welcome to the club :thumbsup:

3. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Juniper,

It sounds very impressive. Sorry to be so blunt, but what was the final price to your door?

Cheers

Rob

4. juniper

juniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Ian J - thanks - I'm very proud to be a member, and will promise to honour and serve and do my best!

Rob - I don't mind you being blunt! Price to my door was around £960 - haven't had the statement yet to see how it converted, but it breaks down as $1,199 to SVS, $199 to Baxglobal (who I also found very helpful and friendly), and £178 to our dear friends at Her Majesty's customs & Excise. As far as I'm concerned, it is an absolute steal at that price. Have just been playing some more and it gets better and better!

5. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Welcome juniper, glad you are pleased with your purchase, the amount of enjoyment that will be coming your way will quickly overcome any deficiencies in your wallet. Svs, a little bit more happiness, every day!

6. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Great report juniper! Like being there myself. :smashin:

You'll love music with it. If it's remotely as good as my 16-46 it will be so clean, effortless, powerful and unbelievably deep you'll never stop grinning. :D

So, when did SVS take you on as a paid employee to over-hype the product? :rotfl:

Nimby

7. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Please God, make my PB Ultra sound as good. I keep wondering if I should have gone for the PB2+ instead, it was that sexy looking driver that swayed me and the promise of even deeper bass.

8. juniper

juniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    So, when did SVS take you on as a paid employee to over-hype the product? :rotfl:

Nimby[/QUOTE]

Nimby - they don't pay very well, but they said if I said nice things about them that I might get a payrise :D

9. juniper

juniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Pollywoggle - thanks for the welcome. The dent in the wallet hurt when I ordered it, but it most certainly doesn't now. Best thing I ever purchased - no doubt about it, and worth every single penny.

I read a post over on (I think) AVS, where someone said they had listened to it and said it made them feel (in a good way of course) "assaulted, abused, defiled......" - I know what they mean now - it has so much headroom for everything, and it can (if you want it to) literally make your whole world shake.

I had a funny experience this afternoon - my Dad was here this afternoon for father's day, and after he had looked and exclaimed very strangely at "that big thing", I turned on the opening bttle from Master & Commander :devil: - he said afterwards that he felt his trouser legs flapping. To say I laughed my head off would be putting it mildly! :rotfl:

10. Ettepet

Ettepet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Did you put something over it to camouflage it a bit, or is it standing there in its all its blackness? (i have a big colourful beach towel over most of it, which does wonders)

11. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    You mean it's big enough to use as a sunbed?

A dual purpose subwoofer? What will they think of next? :rotfl:

Nimby

12. Skyline

Skyline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you have it at 20Hz tune? What size room do you have? I don't have any trouble getting the same feel from my PCU on a 4*6m room. If your room is bigger then you should have gone for the PB2+ or better yet, PB2 Ultra.

If it makes you feel any better, everyone is raving about how much better the TV12 woofer sounds over the Plus woofer. :)

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=201221&highlight=PB2

13. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    I did e.mail them for a recommendation. Wasnt offered a tune, thought that was by way of port blocking. Its a 5m x 5m room so is a touch bigger than yours. PB2 Ultra was out of the question (far too expensive), but the PB2 + would have been an option.

14. Skyline

Skyline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You should have it at 20Hz by default. Check that the switch in the back is at 20Hz (options for 25/20/16/12 Hz) and none of the foams are at the ports. Have you calibrated the sub and the rest of the system yet?

If your room is closed then it should be better but that square shape might give you problems.

15. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    I havent got the sub as yet, its on its way, landed in Manchester Yesterday.
    The room is closed and your right about the squareness proving difficult. It plays havoc with upper mid range and low bass (can boom or just disappear). I use the same size room for my HiFi set up, but brought the speakers a good third of the way into the room, and brought the listening 'couch' well away from the back wall.

16. Skyline

Skyline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, ok, that explains it. I thought you were disappointed by the PCU and were wishing you went with the PB2+ instead. I was having second thoughts but since I'm probably moving my setup to a smaller room, PCU with the lower tuning points seemed like the best choice. Would most likely been happy with my 16-46PCi but just wanted to be on the safe side.

When you get it, do calibrate it. I, like most people, was running my PCi way too hot. Calibration made a big difference.

17. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,839
    Agreed on the driver but deeper bass? No chance, unless of course you're running the PB-2 Ultra:)

18. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Matt, having owned both I assume you would know, but can't the PC Ultra be tuned to 12Hz where as the PB2+ can only be tuned to 16Hz?

19. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,839
    That's what I thought, but try running a PC-Ultra tuned to 12hz at -10db on a bass-heavy DVD....in my own (humble) experience 12hz tuning is a nonsense. The Ultra just doesn't have enough headroom.

I would add that I don't believe the PC-ultra even needs to be tuned to 12hz, as tuned to 20hz it plummets just as low as the PB-2.

20. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    It sounds like it will do the job in my room. I value quality over quantity so, having read the posts on the home theatre site, it seems like the TV12 driver is more subtle with improved definition. Ultimately it would prove difficult to play my system so loud that it rattles window panes etc due to being part of a terrace. I would probably end up wearing it :D

My aim was to replace my current cheap and nasty, bottom of the rung Yamaha sub (SW-P201), for something a lot better. Apart from the bottoming out of the driver on severe LF (Titan AE ice scene for instance) the Yamaha has enough volume for me. If the PCU doesnt bottom out and is twice as good as the Yamaha, then that would be a result.

21. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Even my humble cooking PC Plus didn't bottom out when I played Darla tapping on the glass at 3 over reference - accidentally I hasten to add.

If your Ultra is only twice as good as your Yamaha I will be very surprised and will suspect that you haven't set it up correctly.

22. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Ian, you've made me happy. Its arriving on Friday :clap: just in time for showing Finding Nemo to a group of friends and family........boom, boom, shake the room :laugh:

Any recommends for a sub lead ? I dont want to pay mega amounts, just enough to do it justice, without going for the last word.

23. Skyline

Skyline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Exactly. Karkus, taking that Yammie as reference, besides for the huge bass there will be a HUGE grin on your face once you fire that SVS up. I also had similar Yammie before I bought PCi and if you expect "twice as good" then expect to be :clap:

Tell your girlfriend or friends keep a camera ready when you first test it.

PCU from SVS: $1149
    Shipping to UK: $199
    Customs and VAT: $xxx

Expression on your face when you first fire it up: PRICELESS :zonked:

24. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    :laugh: I like it, cant wait. I have'nt got a SPL meter or a test disc, so will have to set it up by ear until the finances recover.

25. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I think a SVS will be my "to buy" list :)