1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PB12 Ultra in Oak... ooh piccies!

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by AngelEyes, Sep 3, 2005.

1. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,455
    I was always after pictures of SVS subs in a 'real' environment so I hope these quick snaps help anyone else trying to imagine one in your home.

I apologise for the quality and the mess in the room but I was hardly going to tidy up before playing with my new toy!!! In fact the room is a bit of a work in progress whilst we wait for our extension to start. :oops:

Attached Files:

2. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Nice Sub :) Even the Cat is checking it out , I want one of those..

No wonder you had bit of booming to start with, stuck in the corner with the ports against the wall !

Good luck with the tweaking !

Mark.

3. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Looks fab.

Want one :)

4. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,455
    Yes I imagine it will be problematic getting it setup properly in this location but it really was 'made' to fit in there and hopefully it won't be a lost cause. The few tweaks I made last night have transformed the performance already. I was grinning like a cheshire cat after the Darla scene!

I'll be whipping out the SPL this afternoon and see what results we get.

Next I'll need a new cable... now where would I get a beautifully made custom cable? ;)

5. Ettepet

Ettepet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Awesome. :eek:

6. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Looks like that fireplace was planned to leave just enough room for that SVS :)

I guess you have noticed a difference from the Yamaha midwoofer :smashin:

Good luck with the SPL meter !

A good place for superb Subwoofer cables is here or
    http://www.markgrantcables.co.uk/ ;)

Mark.

7. Gary_W

Gary_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Shiney :)

The thing that Tom V from SVS told me was that corner / close wall positioning pushed up the <30Hz but didn't do a huge amount to the >30Hz.

In my room, he was bang on the money. I tried it in loads of positions, including free standing in the middle of the room. The 50Hz room spike was all but untouched by position, and the really low stuff was increased with closeness to walls. Goes up lots with corners.

Most of the advice for getting rid of a >30Hz peak was to move the listening position. Meanwhile, back in the real world, I had to turn to electronics. Having just spent a grand on a sub which looks like a sideboard without a door, I wasn't brave enough to suggest that the new toy required us to move the couch :D I tried it for the sake of science and whilst it did make a difference, it wasn't enough of a differece.

I had to turn down at around 30Hz using the BFD; mine is positioned up the corner with the ports about 4 inches from the wall. So it can be done, even if you need a bit of electronic wizardry.

Gary

8. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking good Angeleyes :thumbsup: that corner the SVS is located in looks as though it was made for it.... :)

9. niceguy235uk

niceguy235uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Whilst i think you have a fantatic sub there, just one question...

What happens if you get a problem with it? Do u have to send it back to the states or is there a support network in the uk?

Regards

10. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The subs are relatively simple and it is testament to their build quality that I haven't heard of one of the UK subs developing a fault. There have been one or two that have sustained some damage in transit that were DOA and in those instances there is either the option of SVS sending over a replacement driver or amp which are apparently easy to replace, or else they will arrange a complete swap out of the sub.

In any event it would seem that the appointment of a UK importer / distributor isn't that far away and when that happens they will be responsible for any warranty work on units sold through them and could possibly also assume responsibility for previous subs bought directly from the manufacturer that are still within the warranty period.

11. MarekFIN

MarekFIN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At the moment you have to send them back the damaged part, because otherwise you have to pay the toll and tax for the replacement part. Have sent back one PB10 amplifier and one PB12-Ultra driver. (At least I had to.)You definitely will not have to send the enclosure back.

This will probably become easier once a local distributor is set up.

12. niceguy235uk

niceguy235uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Look Forward to auditioning one when they are a
    'available' in the uk!

13. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    I think if I was that posh, upper-class, oak subwoofer I'd pretend to have claustrophobia and demand to be sent immediately to another country to recover. Somewhere where I would be given lots of space to stretch my lungs and my legs and run wild in the fields.

(I can personally recommend The Nimbyland Protection Society's Holiday Camp for Rest and Rehabilitation of Subwoofers as it's quite near here) :devil:

More seriously: I'd try raising your sub on a low open stand or table to allow those lovely ports to breathe a little better. The extra open space beneath the box will allow a little more freedom without denying you the use of your alcove cubby-hole.

Even a couple of full length 2"x4"s (50x100mm) on edge might help. Just make sure you cross brace these rails so they don't fall over and damage your beautiful sub when you are sliding the sub back into the alcove. A couple of 1/2" (12mm) dowels between the rails glued into pre-bored holes would do for stability without blocking the airflow beneath the sub.

Did I mention I was jealous? :D

Nimby

14. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,455
    I did discuss with Ron the possibillity of selling SVS myself once the distributor network is up. From what he said the UK distributors would handle the warranty of all previously imported subs. Which makes sense, why go through the added cost of international shipping when you already have a distributor in-country.

Nimby,

I know, I know the poor little blighter is practically suffocating! It isn't quite as bad as it looks as their is at least a foot of space between the back of the sub and the rear wall but I hear what you are saying.

This is of course my first choice of position as far as aesthetics are concerned but if things don't work out, she may well go 'free range', wife dependent :D

I haven't had a chance to do any readings yet but as soon as I get rid of the wife and kids for a few hours I will post a graph and we can all have a good laugh :rotfl: ...and then hopefully you can help me sort it all out.

15. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    You would need to be careful about making a tunnel to allow air out beneath the unit - it's certainly possible and seems like a good idea but you don't want to create a strange and uncalculated transmission line! :)