1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PB12/Ultra 2 vs. Dual PC-Ultras

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by juniper, Feb 2, 2005.

1. juniper

juniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    No, I'm not debating buying one of the above, or maybe I am. Just thought I'd share with you a thread I've just been reading over at Hometheaterforum, with some contributions from Edward JM, of Secrets fame. Anyway, a forum member is considering the two options, and the opinion of Ed is that whilst two (co-located) PC-Ultras would hold the edge in the 15-20Hz range, then above 22Hz.....well he just says it would get very interesting and says how "wicked strong" the PB12/Ultra2 is.

I must resist, I must resist, I must resist............Aaargh :suicide:

I think I need to lie down, or get out more :beer: :D

2. Mroizouk

Mroizouk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    have you got a link to that, juniper? I AM debating buying one of the above!

3. juniper

juniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
  4. Ettepet

Ettepet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I would go for the PB12-Ultra/2, mainly because it is much cheaper to transport - being already in my room. :cool:

5. Mroizouk

Mroizouk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    how is the Ultra/2, Ettepet? I am considering buying one, or a pair of cylinders- either PC ultras or PC+ 16/46s. I am just concerned that the Ultre/2 doesn't have the extension of the 16/46s. Of course it does have better drivers and a parametric EQ.....
    How is it with music? Do you ever wish it went lower? How useful is the EQ? It would be nice to hear from someone who owns one! Cheers

6. Ettepet

Ettepet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    This week I changed the gain on the Ultra/2 so I could send a bigger signal through my BFD. Sunday evening no-one in the building block where I live, so I thought to test things a bit louder (+5dB) than previously: I was totally shell-shocked how loud this baby can play! I would swear my concrete apartment started vibrating to the sound of Jurassic Lunch, The Haunting, and some samples from The Incredibles, among others. And here I was thinking that I had been playing near the edge of sanity the past few months.. :zonked: :devil:

But either would be fine: one (or two) PC-Ultra's or a PC12-Ultra/2. :thumbsup:

7. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I'm thinking of going the Dual PCU route later on. Plan is to buy a new house later in the year with a dedicated room, so I have the space for two of the beasts :) My current single PCU is more than adequate right now, fantastic subwoofer!

8. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    The thread on the other forum was no doubt thinking in terms of typically larger rooms than the average British semi.

Reading between the lines I would suggest twin 'toobs' for music and the box for AV. The cylinders would have lower distortion but the box higher peak output levels. Though I doubt many would ever reach the levels either of these options are capable of.

Anyone seriously contemplating purchase of either option might as well choose whichever they fancy having in their room. Particularly if they like both film and music. Some like cylinders and others like the more traditional box. Ultimately it's a matter of taste.

Nimby

9. juniper

juniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    And how do you know that we don't all live in large detached houses? :devil: :p

10. Mroizouk

Mroizouk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Nimby, I believe you have a PC+ 16/46 (?) Do you find it performs well with music, as Its a toss-up at the moment between a pair of these or a single PB12-ultra/2.

The ultra drivers are supposed to be more 'musical', which is promising, but i'd be passing up on those extra hz of 'fear register' subsonics.

What are your thoughts?

11. Ettepet

Ettepet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I would say the opposite: 2 PCU's for movies (lower extention) or 1 PB12-Ultra/2 for music.

In practice many will use the PB12-Ultra/2 with one port-block, in which case the 2 PCU's should outperform it. Apart from extension the differences will most likely be academic, and things would come down to appearance and moveability.

12. Mroizouk

Mroizouk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    yeah. I'm concerned about the not inconsiderable 190lb weight of the PB12 box, especially as my room's upstairs!

13. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    I'm biased. I would replace my 16-46 with one PC Ultra (or even better two for stereo) like a shot if I could afford it.

When I ordered my 16-46 it was with classical organ music in mind and a rather sceptical wife. The 16-46 has not disappointed and my wife loves the bass it produces and wants more. :eek: We hardly watched any films back then. Now we hire one every weekend! Thanks to the SVS.

The 16-46 goes low and loud and very clean. But an Ultra will probably still match it on lower reach.

The Ultra will be cleaner. Much lower distortion. Not that I can hear any on my PCi.

The Ultra will be a lot louder. I sometimes see nearly 110dB in my large open space. The ultra will add an easy 6dB to that with one third the distortion of the 16-46. Tom V of SVS will give you accurate figures if you e-mail him. He won't mind. :)

It's really a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned. If I'd known that my wife would accept the big cylinder so easily, I would really have ordered an Ultra.

I can't agree with Ettepet that the box is for music and the Ultras for AV. I would say the exact opposite. I prefer the flexibility of two lightweight cylinders to one large box. I would need a crane and a hole in the roof to get an SVS box into my attic listening room anyway.

I live detached-rural Juniper. Reading between the lines of many of the posts here I had assumed I was in the minority. Neighbours and "people in the flat below" seems to be a common theme on here.
    Our nearest neighbours are all trying to move away. I can't imagine why. I don't even own an Ultra, let alone two! :blush:

Nimby

14. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,479

They probably think the 16-46 is some sort of WMD

15. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: