PB12-Plus or PB12-Ultra?

the thing wnn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am waiting for the plus and ultra (single driver) models to be available to order on the SVS website. Erik has told me it should be any day now.

I was originally going to order a PB12-Plus/2, but it is a little too deep for the area i have in mind for it (damn huge actually), so i'm looking at the smaller plus and ultra single driver boxes now. (It has to be a wood finish box to get the wife's seal of approval - no big black tubes :( )

Now my question is as follows:

Incl the rough figure's i have been given by Erik for door to door Bax, and my quick exchange rate calcs etc etc (4.5% then 17.5%) I have ended up at these follwing amounts:

PB12 - Plus roughly £800 (a bit under)
PB12 - Ultra roughly £1000 (a bit under)

both of these are the wood finish options (Rosewood for me to match in with my B&W CDM range)

So, do i fork out the extra £200 for the ultra driver? is it going to be £200 better than the Plus driver?
Its a lot of money whichever way you look at it. I'm leaning towards the Ultra, but only really because i like to get as good as i can :thumbsup: :devil:

any PC-Ultra owners out there want to tell me i'm doing the right thing? or any Plus driver owners to tell me its a good enough sound :confused: :rolleyes: :D :eek:

Thanks all!!!

:thumbsup: :smashin:

Hi
Get the ultra,you will only keep thinking what if,if you don't, plus it is a better driver.
Cheers Gonzo. :)

I think I've probably listened to more SVS subs than anyone else on this forum, the list goes as such:

PB10
PB12 Plus/2
PC Ultra
20-39 PC Plus

The plus driver is superb, produces lovely clean deep bass, the Ultra driver is a bit cleaner and it has a different tonal character, it also has a bit more headroom in a larger room. So, get the PB12 Ultra :) you won't regret it :) :D :devil: I have to add though, that apart from the PB10 and 20-39 PC+, the subs were listened to in different rooms, which we all know has an effect on the sound.

the thing wnn said:
So, do i fork out the extra £200 for the ultra driver? is it going to be £200 better than the Plus driver?

Much depends on the size of your room and the volume levels that you like to listen at. I wouldn't mind betting that it would difficult to tell the difference between any SVS models when played at moderate sound levels in average sized rooms but it's volume that sorts the men from the boys.

Yep
Try incredibles at -5 :eek: its incredible.

The Plus model is up for ordering since last Thursday and the Ultra was listed as next week (e.g. this week) but no order page yet :(

i keep checking every day :devil:

a PB12-Ultra will be mine :D :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

Ordered a lovely Rosewood finish PB12-Ultra yesterday :)

Got to wait until May probably before it ships as cabinets are not in yet :(

But its coming.......!!!!! :D

how much was it in GBP including shipping?

Hi Rozzar
It will be around £1000 all in with tax shipping etc.
Cheers Gonzo.
ps the thing wnn not know the full cost till the sub lands on his door.

I worked it out to roughly the same figure - around £1k all in. I will do a pricing when its here :)

Last i heard, i'm looking at end of the month maybe, or beginning of May.

you should get your 75$ voucher too if you've pre-ordered :)

simonthepieman said:
How much was shipping door to door I was quoted $220 sound about right?
Yep
Thats what ive paid for my ultra-2.
Cheers Gonzo. :)

i asked Erik at SVS yesterday if he had any more news on when my PB12-Ultra will ship. The bad news is the new cabinets are not due in until the 30th May, so the new units won't ship probably until early June :(
Never mind, i've waited this long.....

Was hoping to have my Ultra in time for a star wars marathon at home before the new film on the 19th :(

Ahh Well, more time to convince the wife ;) :D

I have ordered a rosewood cabinet
Do you think the delay applies to all?
Which wood did you choose?

A fellow "waiting" stuck in the waiting game

may be picking this up from Heathrow on Sunday now - will keep you all posted (I'm sure you're all waiting with baited breath for my next post! ;))

always exciting to receive new kit! I'm keen to know your thoughts. 20hz stock tuning should be awesome!

Congratulations, your baby is waiting in a crate. Just waiting for you to take her home.
Hope you are as pleased with your SVS purchase as I am with mine.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom