1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pb10 new,higher used svs or Monolith ?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by kbfern, Jun 24, 2005.

1. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,298
    I have a dilema can you guys help me.

In my main hc area I have a paradigm PS1000 which I have been happy with for the last couple of years.However I feel an upgrade is needed so I am looking for a decent upgrade but we have a problem, cash (don't we all)

I can only afford to spend around £400, this would buy me a new svs pb10-1SD probably a used PC+ cylinder or a new monolith.I don't think that I will be able to get a listen to either a pb10 or monolith locally. I may be able to find a couple of members in my region who might demo me their svs cylinders but that leaves me with no comparisson with the other 2 options.

There has been a second hand PB12 1SD/2 for sale on these forums recently but I think that sub would be much to large for WAF although I am sure would sound great.

So what do you guys think,how much of a performance gain will any of these subs be over my trusty PS1000.Room size is 16ft x 11ft x 7ft.

cheers

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Any SVS and probably the Monolith too will give you a huge performance gain over your PS1000. The increase in depth coupled with much reduced distortion will take the sound effects on films and the bottom end on music into a completely different realm.

3. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,298
    Ian

Thanks for the imput,you had both a pb10 and a 20-39 till recently would you say that there was much difference between the two in depth & slam.I must admit I am drawn to a PB10 but don't want to feel buyers remorse.Having said that I haven't seen many cylinders up for sale lately so it could be a while before one comes along and I don't know if I can wait.

The PB12 that was up for sale recently could be awsome(and just about afordable) but having looked at the dimensions I feel it would be to large in the room considering what other furniture is in the room(its my office cum home theatre)

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    There are differences between the two as the cylinder seems to go louder as well as deeper with greater ease.

Kazman and Scott3 listened to both a few months ago when comparing them to the little BK sub and Kazman's thoughts are here

The PB-10 hasn't gone yet so if you want to listen to both here you can if you're quick.

5. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,298
    Ian

Thanks for the offer of a demo it would be usefull to hear both together,when would it be convenient for me to come for a listen.

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    In case people think I was rude for ignoring Keith's post, we made arrangements by PM and Keith came over yesterday and heard both subwoofers.

7. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,298
    A big thanks to Ian for the coffee and demo both the PB10 & 20-39 subs were demoed and it was a big help to me deciding on going the svs route.

I may be going for a larger box svs sub available to me, as no cylinders currently available second hand, just getting the tape measure out now to see if it will fit in.

8. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,298
    Drat the PB12 was just to big and also to heavy to maul around, so passed on it.Really need to find a pc+ cylinder if poss or maybe that PB10 of yours Ian if Petey don't come up with the cash.