1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PB10-ISD is here

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Dfour, Nov 3, 2004.

1. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    OK all this it what a lot of people have been waiting for :smashin: especially Bob1 and myself.

But first some pix

Sorry it took so long I had to shrink the size of the pictures :eek:

Attached Files:

2. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    Looking good. Hurry up and get it plugged in! :D

3. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dfour thats not as big as what i thought it would be, quite a nice size bet you can't wait to fire it up :thumbsup:

John

4. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    Crikey it's bigger than i thought :eek: C'mon man hurry up with your review :laugh:

Adrenochrome.

5. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I have player Harry potter and the chamer of secrets without setting it up properly and the 'Quidich' game definatly has more punch to it with the bludger chasing Harry.

Ive now set it up with the SPl and running Matrix 'Lobby' and 'Dodge this' scene. :D:D

Cracking bass , i can feel the explosions and the sub wont have even broken in yet. :smashin:

Finding Nemo next up:eek:

6. MS-Yam

MS-Yam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Dfour,

Can you also tell us what it's build quality is like compared to your 309?

7. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    It's bloomin huge for a 10" !!

Give us more feedback, we needs it !!

8. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Its very good. You can see the seems around the edges and cant find them with a finger nail either. Its definatly more ugly than the 309 but because it is all black it blends into the background better. I would have prefered a black ash finnish but the britex black is very good
    The tap test IMHO show the build is thicker than the 309 and therefore more solid. Im glad I dont have any little pets otherwise I think the vent would have swallowed them up by now :devil:

The suplied manula is full of useful information and tips. The power cable is american so you will need to fit a UK plug. You also get 2 spare fuses:smashin: and a superb SVS pen:cool:

Overall my first impressions are very good. Its a superb sub at an amazing price (especially while the £ stays at such a good rate v's the $)

Now Darla is almost scary. :thumbsup: and the Whale speaking :eek:

Attached Files:

9. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    it's a beast!

10. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Wow that's huge :eek: ! Looks like it's coming along well, is it a huge step up from your 309 then?

Seems a bit unfair comparing it to the BK given the size differences but any chance of a comparison between yours and perhaps the 909 that Tons brought over before? I'd love to do another test but unfortunately I'm stuck in Bath with no transport :( Maybe you could get another freq. response at some point as then we'll have plenty to compare in the same room.

11. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Yeah I would be quite happy to do a comparison between the 909 and the pb10.:devil: I will do a sweep in a couple of days so the sub has a few days to 'break in'. I iwll have a go with excell but my use of it is nill so it might just be a list unless you would be happy to graph them for me if I PM them to you Eviljohn2

12. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I disagree as I believe that subs should be compared primarily according to price with other aspects being of secondary consideration.

Surely most people want to know what is the best sub that they can buy at £250 £500 £1,000 or whatever their budget is and then they can start to discuss compromises that may have to be made in specifying size, colour or flashing lights etc

13. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Congrats on your purchase Dfour, photos are excellent, keep us informed of all developments!

14. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    ok heres my provisional spl run :eek: using the MS test disk.

HZ DB

17 90.8
    19 97.6
    21 107.8
    24 107.9
    27 101.2
    30 97.7
    34 94.7
    38 93.1
    42 93.1
    47 94.8
    53 97.8
    60 92.3
    67 93.7
    75 92.2
    84 90.2
    95 87.7

This is done with the sub 'hot' by +3DB over the speakers that where all turned off (power amp does the lfe). I initially tried to do it a reference level and the 17hzand 20hz had the throw on the chair flapping at 6' away and things moving and vibrating in my flat. I cant imagine what the neighbours would have thought if they were in:eek:

15. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Hello Dfour try the values set out on the snapbug site here just change the values,also you have the levels too high to make any sense of ,they go way off scale when put into the graph.
    Mines comming tomorrow :D .

16. Ilkka R

Ilkka R

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Are those corrected or uncorrected values?

17. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    They'll be uncorrected but will match to the budget sub test as the same SPL meter was used. I'll have a go at graphing them later tonight hopefully.

Ian J, you have a good point and hopefully a few graphs will give an idea as to the difference between them. I expect there to be a gap between them with the SVS being better but would be surprised if it was substantial. As I've mentioned a number of times previously, the only thing between *should* be cabinet size.

18. Ilkka R

Ilkka R

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Are you Dfour? What spl-meter you are using? RS? And those are uncorrected...very hard to believe.

19. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    "Now Darla is almost scary. And the Whale speaking."

I used that film too to test bass. Quite a lot of low stuff in there.

I also found that if you can find a scene from any modern Star Trek film/episode, they have a constant thrum in the background as if you were on a real ship. Never really noticed things like that until I slotted in a sub again.

That SVS does look dangerous. :D I'm sure you'll be pulverising your internal organs for a while beofre you turn down the volume. :smashin:

20. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    No hes not. Eviljohn2 is the brains that was at the 'budget sub test' so he knows what hes talking about:D The SPL im using is a digital one from Maplins.

Im afraid I dont understand all the corrected or un corrected stuff so someone please explain and then I will:blush:. These are the numbers that I did quickly this afternoon just to see what the room was reacting like.

I thought it was time it got some music so pulled out Prodigy 'fat of the land' and Disturbed 'Believe' on DVD-A and let rip in 2 channel stereo/multi-channel so the sub gets involved and im impressed again. The 309 is very good for music as its very controlled and the SVS has the same control and goes deeper with much more authority:devil:

21. Ilkka R

Ilkka R

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I don't know what kind of meter Maplin is, but in generally all SPL-meters have either C- or A-weighting (or both) build inside and therefor correction is needed. RadioShock's meter needs aslo some extra corrections beause it's cheaply build...

Here you can find some info about that meter of yours.
    It has "A & C weighting selectable" but "Measurement frequency ranging 300 Hz to 8000 Hz" so I think it's not very reliable when testing frequencies below 300Hz.

22. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
  23. Ilkka R

Ilkka R

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
  24. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Yes it night be because the machine is calibrated to 85DB at 00 reference levels while the sub was at 88db. As I said it was only a quick setup with a quick run with the SPL.

Knew I should have mentioned that somewhere :blush:

25. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,973
    That looks much bigger than I expected too:)

26. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    The only correction values I've ever come across are for the old model of Radioshack Analogue SPL meter, with that, from what I can gather these are all derived from a single test session by someone who claimed to have equipment which did the job.

For the sub test I think we used the subs set to 85dB but with the amp delivering a 100dB signal. The SPL meter was used with C weighting as you'd expect.

Even the resulst from this seemed very high for "general" usage, certainly in DFours flat without regularly annoying the neighbours ;)

DFour, if you can set it up vaguely close to the values we used in the sub test (ie. at 85dB) then we might get some comparable values, at best the ones available are helpful but certainly won't be official.

At the moment I'd prefer official values to be put to one side since there's more to a sub than it's outright SPl figures.

Clearly the physical dimensions are monumental for what might be considered a budget sub, but what's the perceived value like, how solid is it (remember that the MS models in the test seemed quite hollow compared to the Kef and BK) and what does your better half think?

Most importantly, is it a worthwhile upgrade from your 309 considering the extra you paid? :)

27. Ilkka R

Ilkka R

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    All SPL-meters need correction values if they are used with C-weighting. At this point, we do not need any max spl tests. Just a plain FR chart. It doesn't matter what level, about 70-80dB is good. Calibration is not needed. You know what calibration means?

Please read this.

28. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Here's a quick analysis of the results that DFour posted. Again, you'll note a quick dropoff just above 20Hz.

Hint to Mods: It would be good if we could upload Excel charts although I've mentioned that previously.

Attached Files:

29. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    That's understood, but with that, each model of SPL meter will require it's own correction values. The best we can hope for at the moment as far as I can tell is a direct comparison. We have results available using the same room, the same position and the same SPL meter which certainly provides consistency.

I think is starting to detract from what DFour thinks of the sub though. Technicalities and a proper test can wait :)

30. Ilkka R

Ilkka R

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Wrong, C-weighting is same for all. Search google for c-weighting and you'll understand what I mean. Don't confuse RS meter correction values, they are just for RS meter, but they are always added already to those "c-weighting correction values". So rs-correction + c-weighting correction gives right values with RS meter. For your meter add only c-weighting corrections.