PB-2000 or SB-3000

Garry123

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Currently using an xxls-400 and looking to upgrade. I watch more movies than listening to music.

So I was going for a SB-3000, but now I am wondering should I be going for a PB-2000?

Room is 4x4.5x2.7m, the sub will be stuck in a corner.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Currently using an xxls-400 and looking to upgrade. I watch more movies than listening to music.

So I was going for a SB-3000, but now I am wondering should I be going for a PB-2000?

Room is 4x4.5x2.7m, the sub will be stuck in a corner.

Any advice would be appreciated.
What type of listen are you into movies/music

Do you prefer sealed or ported

I watch more movies. I have never had a ported sub, always sealed. Which is why I wonder if i'm missing something.

I don`t think there is any questions about SB3000 not being amazing for the size. But if you don´t need the subwoofer to be small and sealed box then you might want to think about more.

SB3000 costs 1275£, there is one manufacturer refurb item for 1147£ (black ash). But there is also manufacturer reburb PC2000 for 679£ and 599£ (grade 2 = ex demo / returned?). Those prices are just crazy low! If you want the box version that goes 829£, although i would contact AVO and ask can they get you manufacturer refurb PB2000 cause the price would be LOT lower with the product being like new.

Performance (output) wise the PB/PC2000 matches SB3000 at 40hz and from there upwards the SB3000 rips hard with 4-8db edge over PB2000. This model has been said to perform more like 15" models in the mid-bass region. Fun fact: SB3000 matches or outperforms SB16Ultra at 50-100hz (max output) in the "chest punch" range. :)

But under 40hz (16-31hz) the PB/PC2000 shows the potential of large ported box. We are talking about 5-10db difference which is noticeable! And you won`t get similar rumble / impact from the sealed box vs. ported cab. Some love this, some don´t care. Clearly if you like deep bass that you can feel more then ported version could be prefered. But seriously it could go either way.

@WozzaB ordered PB2000 Pro, selling he´s dual XXLS400s. You should be able to hear he´s comments next week when the sub arrives. He`s room size is similar to yours. :)

The sub arrives Tuesday @Gasp3621!
I'll report back once I've got it set up right and had a listen to various movie scenes and a bit of music, the mrs wasn't happy that the 2 XXLS400's might be going, she's gone from not wanting a sub at all to loving the dual subs, especially the sub in the rear corner just behind the sofa, nice tactile bass!!😄

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. My other dilemma is do I upgrade my amp before I upgrade the sub? I see the arcam 550 can be had for £1499, my anthem 710 is getting on a bit.

Thanks for the advice. My other dilemma is do I upgrade my amp before I upgrade the sub? I see the arcam 550 can be had for £1499, my anthem 710 is getting on a bit.

Let me guess it misses Atmos/Dts:X and you want them? Otherwise i don´t see much point swapping to "old" model (AVR550) which has it´s limitations like global crossovers (you would opt to use higher setting for base level speakers as you have tiny surrounds) and the product isn´t happiest with lower impedance loads, as it got shut down with 4ohm testing. Also you would be buying expensive "old" product as new Hdmi 2.1 receivers are just around the corner, won´t be problem to most people just thought to mention it. The ARC room correction software is still one of the best available on Anthem and the receiver itself is very good!

Steve Withers gave it reference status back in the days! :)

It is a very good amp. Maybe wait on the amp then and get the sub.

If space and size is not an issue I'd go dual sb/pb 2000 over a single 3000. As gasp3621 has already said a avonline has some good deals at the moment.

If you like more chest slam I'd go sealed over the ported model, unless you want a mini earthquake

If space and size is not an issue I'd go dual sb/pb 2000 over a single 3000. As gasp3621 has already said a avonline has some good deals at the moment.

If you like more chest slam I'd go sealed over the ported model, unless you want a mini earthquake

Interesting, I thought chest slam came from ported? Dual subs is out of the question, not enough room.

For me, yes. Massive output down to 10Hz before they ’gradually’ roll off

10Hz. Thats crazy low. 👍

Interesting, I thought chest slam came from ported? Dual subs is out of the question, not enough room.
Chest slam is higher up the frequency range than were you get any benefit of the port.
I'm in a room similar in size as yours and an sb 2000 under 15hz easy. Currently have dual pb 2000s and they almost match a single sb in the slam department, not match under 30hz obviously.

You wont be disappointed with the 3000 if that's the way you go, you should check out arendal sub 2 also

Anyone know where you could get a Demo of the Adrenal Sub 2 and the SB3000 at the same time?

Or has anyone compared these two back to back and could offer an opinion? Thanks

Reading this thread with great interest. We just did a home remodel and adding Atmos ceiling speakers (GoldenEar HTC-7000's) was part of the project. They sound great, and it was truly a nice upgrade. The last thing to do was dual subwoofers, one in the front and one in the back. I decided to go with dual SB-3000's and my wife agreed.

Two days before they arrived, the Marantz AV-8802A stopped working and it took a full two months before the repair shop got the correct part. I just got the call that it's fixed and ready to be reintroduced into the system. That means I'll be able to hear the new subs for the first time ever. VERY excited to hear them.

Rest of the system, if you're interested: I also used GoldenEar HTC-7000's for the rear surrounds, I have Alon II front cabinets and the matching Alon center speaker, Marantz MM7705 Amplifier and a Carver Amplifier for the Atmos speakers.

I'll let you know how it sounds once I get it all back together and playing.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom