Question PB-1000 - Replacement????

kiforrest

Standard Member
Reaction score
Summary - currently own Monitor Audio BX2 (Fronts) BX Centre and BXFX surrounds - for around 6 years. Originally had the BXW-10 which was OK, but had a fault so was replaced with an SVS PB-1000 about 4-5 years ago.

I have now moved house and have a slightly larger 1995 Cubic feet lounge (square) but hiding /placing the sub is not as easy and I am finding it a little 'boomy' and 'flabby' in its sound.

Anyway, this coupled with the new décor caused a speaker re-think. The fireplace surround plus a 58" TV made floorstanders difficult - and she wanted nicer speakers in the lounge. I also want to upgrade to a 65" OLED/QLED TV - so the extra space afforded is of benefit :).

To tackle the sub - I upgraded from a Yamaha RX-A1010 to a Marantz SR-7011 (also to try Atmos) but mainly to EQ the sub as YPAO did not. Atmos speakers were purchased (Elac) and why the effect was interesting I would not call it a ground breaker. The boomy flabby sound of the PB-1000 was starting to grate

This, coupled with wife's nagging, caused a visit to the hi-fi shop. No idea why but I now have Monitor Audio Apex A10 fronts and A40 centre (to be fitted) - plus stands. However, before I fit them I want a new Sub. What would this audience recommend?

I know a sealed sub should improve things. If so which one. I would like it to be a smaller unit - and am currently thinking

Monitor Audio AW-12
SVS SB-2000
Velodyne Ultra-8 (nice and small but seems to have a grunt to it)

I am put off the SVS as it has no EQ function of its own and I assume that helps with placement etc? No expert so any advice appreciated. Lounge is almost a perfect square and I watch tv-films/music 65/35 in that location. I have dedicated Hi-Fi in the study (where the Rega Brio and KEF Q350's provide the sound).

Finally, last questions - for surrounds am thinking that due to placement (side of the listener) a new pair of MA Silver Fx which would make good surrounds for the new MA setup - or would most stick to the A-10's?

The sub will reside in a corner of a room - no where else really to put it (corner behind the TV)

Cheers

A budget would be helpful and also are secondhand sub's an option or are you looking at new?
When you say 'smaller' i assume you mean physical size, are you limited to a certain size, or is it just a preference?
If sealed is the way you want to go, you have several options, although you have discounted another SVS because of lack of EQ, which i don't quite understand as they have EQ, or at least the SB4000 does, which i briefly looked at myself for a new dual sub setup. I would suggest the usual suspects, ie: XTZ, Arendal, SVS or BK, i'd also suggest having a look at the PSA (Power Sound Audio) Sub's, they have several sealed Sub's in their range and they are pretty small compared to some of the others.
Regarding your question about the surrounds, i'll leave that to someone else to comment as i have no personal experience of the speakers you've short listed.

Anyway, hopefully that's given you a few things to think about.

Thanks, the SB4000 is very large from memory. Looking at a budget max of £1500.

Secondhand or new is fine. The sub is hopefully smaller physically than the PB-1000 - that is the maximum I would like to look at in terms of physical size. Speaker diameter I am less fussed about - I just want deep but controlled bass.

Sealed subs are getting better write ups at present so are attracting my attention

Are the Velodyne Ultras any good? A remote would be nice too as the sub is buried behind the TV

Cheers

Can't really comment on the Velodyne ultras, they look pretty good and do have good reviews.

Have a look at: powersoundaudioeu
There are a few people over on the PSA Subwoofer thread: The POWER SOUND AUDIO Subwoofers thread that have them and think very highly of them, I'm currently running a loan PSA 15S which has been pretty impressive.

Summary - currently own Monitor Audio BX2 (Fronts) BX Centre and BXFX surrounds - for around 6 years. Originally had the BXW-10 which was OK, but had a fault so was replaced with an SVS PB-1000 about 4-5 years ago.

I have now moved house and have a slightly larger 1995 Cubic feet lounge (square) but hiding /placing the sub is not as easy and I am finding it a little 'boomy' and 'flabby' in its sound.

Anyway, this coupled with the new décor caused a speaker re-think. The fireplace surround plus a 58" TV made floorstanders difficult - and she wanted nicer speakers in the lounge. I also want to upgrade to a 65" OLED/QLED TV - so the extra space afforded is of benefit :).

To tackle the sub - I upgraded from a Yamaha RX-A1010 to a Marantz SR-7011 (also to try Atmos) but mainly to EQ the sub as YPAO did not. Atmos speakers were purchased (Elac) and why the effect was interesting I would not call it a ground breaker. The boomy flabby sound of the PB-1000 was starting to grate

This, coupled with wife's nagging, caused a visit to the hi-fi shop. No idea why but I now have Monitor Audio Apex A10 fronts and A40 centre (to be fitted) - plus stands. However, before I fit them I want a new Sub. What would this audience recommend?

I know a sealed sub should improve things. If so which one. I would like it to be a smaller unit - and am currently thinking

Monitor Audio AW-12
SVS SB-2000
Velodyne Ultra-8 (nice and small but seems to have a grunt to it)

I am put off the SVS as it has no EQ function of its own and I assume that helps with placement etc? No expert so any advice appreciated. Lounge is almost a perfect square and I watch tv-films/music 65/35 in that location. I have dedicated Hi-Fi in the study (where the Rega Brio and KEF Q350's provide the sound).

Finally, last questions - for surrounds am thinking that due to placement (side of the listener) a new pair of MA Silver Fx which would make good surrounds for the new MA setup - or would most stick to the A-10's?

The sub will reside in a corner of a room - no where else really to put it (corner behind the TV)

Cheers

Have you tried watching movies Audussey Dynamic EQ turned off on your Marantz? I have seen couple times mentioned that this will add something some people don´t like regarding the bass. Basically corner placement shouldn`t be problem, SVS/REL and many others recommend corner placement if one has some kind of subwoofer eq in use. You are maximizing your subwoofer performance then. And your Marantz (XT32) has one that example SVS Ed Mullen praices highly. Of course moving the sub from corner to more near towards speakers should help with boominess, but i`m suprised to hear that you still got it as it`s usually the opposite XT32 helping with that! It seems most of people would rather pay to get XT32 with receiver or buy Antimode 8033 than pay for a sub that has one with it.

If you do end up upgrading, think about the 30day try out home demo from PSA. Example S1500 is very compact sized but offers tremendous performance and high quality of bass. Frank pointed out the links and AVSF (US) has hundreds of happy customers who has compared PSA to other subs. Performance should be similar to SVS SB13 Ultra (one model before SB4000) and look for what price!

Another great option would be Arendal Sub2 which was just mentioned in a review to be slightly better sounding than SVS SB4000. :) Gorgeous, but not sure if too large. Around 1400£ +- (?).
1723 Subwoofer 2

Even Arendal Sub1 should be step up from SVS SB2000. Do check the dimensions as in pictures these will look quite large.
1723 Subwoofer 1

@sanjualf got SilverFX`s with Apexes at front stage. He might have a word or two to say. Also ex-owner of PSA S1500.

Can you get a dem or a listen to anything in situ?

I've had a couple of days so far with an MKv12 (I'm comparing it with my current sb2000 so can't comment as to how it compares with suggestions raised in the thread btw) and whilst it's very early days - not even slightly run in - it's proving to be a bit of a revelation in the 'non-flabby' department.

I think having had difficulty in your room I'd be trying to find a local dealer who might be able to let you try out of options at home.

If it would help give us an idea of what area you are based in and someone will probably pipe up with a couple of good dealers you could try

Hi id recommend the SFX as better for surround duties , ive the A10s and A40 too

Tks

I would recommend the silver FX speakers for surrounds. They would complement nicely. I have them with my LCR A40’s. Works very well. And wall hangs flatter than the A10’s
Re sub if you are looking at single sealed ones then consider PSA1500, Arendal sub2 if you are ok with their size. Both of these are good value for money and give you nice output. PSA would go slightly lower as well. Small subs under £1000 then I would look into Arendal sub1 , Svsv sb2000 which is tiny size wise or Xtz 12.17 (I have two of them currently)which can be run in sealed or ported node with different room tuning options.
Size wise the sb2000 will be the smallest. The psa1500 and xtz 12.17 will be similar and I think the Arendals are a bit deeper and taller though narrow I think
Sanjay

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom