• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Paypal verified buyer is it safe?

I have an expensive item for sale on ebay at the moment & i have several interested buyers from abroad waiting to put in a best offer sayingn they are Paypal verified. Is it safe to accept their money?

overkill

Distinguished Member
I have an expensive item for sale on ebay at the moment & i have several interested buyers from abroad waiting to put in a best offer sayingn they are Paypal verified. Is it safe to accept their money?
Not keen on foreign buyers. However, if they put in a legitimate offer under Ebays 'best offer' terms, and the money arrives in paypal safely then there's no problem. You never dispatch anything until the moneys safely tucked up in your bank do you now? ;)

If they are just making offers in a standard auction, then Ebays advice is to ignore them. Let it run.

wormvortex

Distinguished Member
Not keen on foreign buyers. However, if they put in a legitimate offer under Ebays 'best offer' terms, and the money arrives in paypal safely then there's no problem. You never dispatch anything until the moneys safely tucked up in your bank do you now? ;)

If they are just making offers in a standard auction, then Ebays advice is to ignore them. Let it run.

Seeing as it takes 5-10days to transfer money from paypal to a bank account it's hardly something you can do. If I bought something and it was dispatched 10days later I'd be mighty annoyed and wouldn't hesitate to leave negative feedback. That and the fact that just because it's in your bank doesn't make a difference, if the transaction does turn out to be fraudent paypal can still demand the money back and even take it from your bank if the details or a credit/debit card are stored on file.

andykn

To give yourself more confidence, check out the prospective buyer's feedback. Is it for items you would associate with someone buyibg your item.

If you're selling an expensive record deck and all their feedback is from buying beanie babes - alert.

If all their feedback is from buying 1p items - alert.

Decide what countries you think are "safe". Remember most US citizens think the UK is too dangerous to visit, many foreign countries will be as safe, if not safer than ours to do business.

How tradeable is your item, mobile phones are risky because they are almost as good as hard currency - a scammer is less likely to want to try and shift a heavy turntable.

wormvortex

Distinguished Member
US citizens think the UK is too dangerous to visit? ***. Surely the UK is one of the safest places. It's middle east country I'd be worried of visiting.

andykn

US citizens think the UK is too dangerous to visit? ***. Surely the UK is one of the safest places. It's middle east country I'd be worried of visiting.

Exactly. One's perception of dangerous countries may not always match reality. The UAE is probably safer than the UK (if you stay off their roads).

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom