Paypal Gumtree fraud scammer 19 walker street, Liverpool

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
Posted an ad for a Panasonic Camera on Gumtree. It's on at £250 expecting to be haggled down to £225.
Within hours I got a WhatsApp message from 07554 016219 to my mobile number given in the ad with the name ProCare :
Panasonic Lumix GH2 DMC-GH2KEB-K 16MP Camera with 14-42mm Lens Kit £250.00
Am interested in purchasing
To which I replied Ok.
I will offer you the asking price for the item and £18 for postage royal mail Delivery with tracking to me in L6 1EJ,so send me invoice on paypal directly to my paypal account email id which is [email protected] and I will submit payment to you immediately via paypal asap.Thanks.
Ok can I have your details please?
Martin Buckley
19 walker street,Liverpool Merseyside
L6 1EJ

Ok so message me when you send the invoice on paypal so i can send you the payment right away ..
I set up the Paypal invoice and I was about to send it when I thought I'd phone the number.
The call failed repeatedly so I googled it:
07554016219 | Dangerous: 2 reports.
Someone else has had the same message for their GumTree ad.

Also Googled the address:
who called me 07387359021 | who-called.co.uk

So 19 walker street, Liverpool has been used to try to scam people before.

So I'm certain this 'Martin Buckley' is a fake name fraudster who would have done a Paypal reversal or sent a fake Paypal receipt or something.
The address will be real, though. Maybe I should report it to the police?
I'll be asking for a bank transfer only or cash on collection, I think.
IMG_7579[1].PNG IMG_7580[1].PNG

Last edited:
That's why you should only use GumTree for local trading...

If only we had a perfectly usable and in the vast majority of transactions a safe and successful classifieds forum somewhere else.....

Now where did I last see one of those? Hmmmm ;)

How are you planning to spend your last few hours as a moderator?

Hix: Mutters something about only dunces mail shit to gumtree noobs, then wonders off.

Personally I'd report this to the Police and let them deal with it, ie get rid of this thread.

Its entirely probable that the person/people actually living at the address listed in this thread are nothing whatsoever to do with the scam.

Delivering stolen goods to your own address would be fairly stupid, beginner level scamming (see thread title). The scammer is more likely to be a courier/postie who delivers to that street, or somebody living close by who can intercept packages.

Last edited:
Cash on collection only is the only way with the likes of FB Marketplace and Gumtree.

I don't get it.... You have a Classified section on your own forum and you're using Scumtree?? Why would that be?

he doesn't want anyone knowing where he lives etc haha

I’ll offer you full asking price but like to verify you are genuine. Can you please transfer me 0.25 BTC to my address first please? If not I release some photos and videos I have. :)

Personally I'd report this to the Police and let them deal with it, ie get rid of this thread.

Can’t imagine that the Police will do anything. I sometimes sell on Friday-Ad when I want a face to face deal and more often than not the first reply I get is something like the OP.

I just ignore them, but if I and everyone else reported it to the Police they would have thousands. That may sound good but I doubt there is any real information in the communication for them to go on. As the OP said he was able to Google find that the credentials are used frequently - I doubt then they are the real ones of the scammer.

I doubt the scammer, even in the OP’s case, is even in the UK.

Cheers,

Nigel

I tried selling my Samsung 65” on Gumtree, got 6 responses and 4 of them were fraudsters..

I would agree that it’s only good for cash sales.

when i was selling a phone on gumtree a while ago the best one i got was someone wanting me to rent it to them
they seemed a little reluctant to pay the £100 non refundable deposit i wanted :)

I replied to an advert for a phone and the seller wanted payment to post it to me next day courier delivery. I replied that I only live 2 miles away and will pick it up and they did not communicate with me any more so I reported it on Gumtree as suspicious and the advert was pulled.

How are you planning to spend your last few hours as a moderator?

I clicked funny for this post....

Making sure I take you down with me for even suggesting such a drastic exit

....then looked for the ‘even funnier’ button.

Stuart, why not post your advert here? I’m sure you are one of the few members (apart from me) who can be trusted to not post your full details as per the rules.

I clicked funny for this post....

....then look for the ‘even funnier’ button.

Stuart, why not post here? I’m sure you are one of the only members (apart from me) who can be trusted to not post your full details as per the rules.
I submitted the emoji request to the developers, not holding my breath though

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom