1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paypal guidance

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by raigraphixs, Oct 21, 2005.

1. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,204
    Hi,

I got a email today, from games company, thanking me for my order for $120 for a game or something, that i did not order. :mad:

I emailed them, and the guy said, it was ordered via paypal.

So looks like someone has used my account!. (NOW i dont know how much detail this fradulent person has from my paypal account), as the order was not in my Transactions History'..

Anyway, I will report it to paypal asap, but i need some more details from the games company.

while i wait, i have changed my paypal password, and removed my credit card.

• Now what is the best thing to do?, i still want to you my paypal account. Can i safely put my credit card back on, now that i have a new password?, if someone had hacked in, they would have my CC details would'nt they.

• but still have the same email, should i create a new paypal account from scratch?

• Should i cancel my card as well?, and put the new one on the account.

• I then ask the question, is paypal safe?, i have used it for years, so as long as i dont have too much £ in my account, i think i carry on using it.

ta

rai

2. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    paypal is not safe. Paypal don't give a crap about you or any other customer of theirs. Visit http://www.paypalsucks.com/ or any other of the 100's of anti-paypal websites to see all the people that have been shafted by paypal over the years. It is because of things like this that I don't use paypal and never will.

3. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
  4. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Was the money taken yours, i.e. was your paypal account in credit, or was it in debit. If it was in debit, i.e. you owed money then paypal have to sort it out, if it is in credit, and you lost your own money, paypal's non-existant help will not save you my friend. :(

5. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    any company like paypal is going to get its hate crowd, but in my experience its been fine, a bit expensive, but fine.

as long as you use your card to source funds for all payments, rather than leaving the money in your paypal account, and make sure you transfer recieved money asap, i dont see much risk. all these peoples stories had thousands of dollars in their accounts and then got locked out, why not transfer it to your bank account (for free)?

it is worrying about the password thing, although thats a risk with any online service. if someone found my password for amazon, for example, they could go on a spree because my card is stored.

6. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Hello rai,

If the order is not on your paypal transaction history then I guess it never took place...

Every transcation is stored for the benefit of the Inland Revenue etc.

Did you click on a paypal link in the email from the games company ?

The usual scam is to trick you into logging in a fake paypal site/account that steals your login details then redirects you to the real site.

I often receive fake paypal emails that say something like ' John smith has sent you £30' with a link to fake site. They are usually an exact copy of the real paypal emails, with a perfect copy of the paypal site, would catch out many people I guess.

Check the paypal history again and make sure you are at the real paypal site, and check your card statements carefully !

Mark.

7. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,204

Thanks for the replys.

No, the paypal link was not on the email from the games company.

The reply i got from the games company, the guy stated paypal in his reply, but i did not get any more info than that. I am waiting for his next reply, about the delivery address, ip number, etc.

This was the order from;

> IGE.com

> http://www.ige.com

> http://livehelp.ige.com

Thank you for your purchase of $119.99 on the World of
    > Warcraft (EURO) - Warsong EURO - Alliance server.

I wander like you say, the whole email could be bogus, but the whole order and reply from IGE seemed genuine, they told me too report it to paypal (there was no link on their reply), but i will request a statement from my building society.

Hopefully its a one off.

So are other people saying they would rather pay via credit card, than use paypal?.

The only reason i got it originally was for ebay purchases.

ta