PayPal Friends and Family - I don’t understand it

nheather

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
PPG as it used to be referred to made sense. If you had your bank account linked or balance in your account then there were no fees. But if you just had your credit card links you had to state who was going to pay the fees, sender or receiver.

I only have my credit card linked so I have always refused to use PPG - instead I have paid normal PayPal but slightly more so that when fees are removed the seller gets the amount agreed, and I get the protection.

But recently I have done a few transactions where it just asks me for £3 and the seller gets £3.

I don’t get that, there are credit card fees so is PayPal losing money.

I know the recipient gets the £3 and it says I sent £3 but I wonder if it secretly charges my credit card more.

Just about to make another payment so I would like to know. I don’t mind paying fees but not on PPG because you don’t get anything for them.

Cheers,

Nigel

I was wondering the same, but done quite a few lately and never got charged.

I've always had to pay a fee when using friends and family to buy something off here/Facebook. Around 7-8€ fee when I bought a 4k spinner for £200.

I've always had to pay a fee when using friends and family to buy something off here/Facebook. Around 7-8€ fee when I bought a 4k spinner for £200.
cross border friends and family?

Yeah. You think it's just a charge for currency conversion?

Just seen my email confirmation.

It says

Amount sent £3.00
Fee £0.00
Amount paid £3.00

This was with an AMEX card.

So is PayPal really making a loss on all these transactions - very odd.

Cheers,

Nigel

Just seen my email confirmation.

It says

Amount sent £3.00
Fee £0.00
Amount paid £3.00

This was with an AMEX card.

So is PayPal really making a loss on all these transactions - very odd.

Cheers,

Nigel

suppose it does not cost them much, if anything?

Won’t AMEX will charge something though.

Cheers,

Nigel
1589472654642.png

Some credit cards don't charge PayPal the fees, but PayPal make so much money in fees on other transactions they could probably afford to swallow it anyway.

I've used PayPal family and friends for ages now and have never paid any fees using a Mastercard credit card. Only use it with people trust though due to no protection. Guess it comes down to the card company?

PPG as it used to be referred to made sense. If you had your bank account linked or balance in your account then there were no fees. But if you just had your credit card links you had to state who was going to pay the fees, sender or receiver.

I only have my credit card linked so I have always refused to use PPG - instead I have paid normal PayPal but slightly more so that when fees are removed the seller gets the amount agreed, and I get the protection.

But recently I have done a few transactions where it just asks me for £3 and the seller gets £3.

I don’t get that, there are credit card fees so is PayPal losing money.

I know the recipient gets the £3 and it says I sent £3 but I wonder if it secretly charges my credit card more.

Just about to make another payment so I would like to know. I don’t mind paying fees but not on PPG because you don’t get anything for them.

Cheers,

Nigel
If you think it secretly charged your credit card more, compare the purchase price with your statement.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom