Paypal & Ebay rant

Citizen J

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I sold an item on Ebay in early December. The buyer paid as normal through Paypal so I then proceeded to post the item to him. I sent it by second class standard; it was a small packet so wouldn't be able to fit through the letterbox. Well roll on 2 weeks the buyer says he hasn't got the item. In 3 and a half years of trading on ebay this has never happened and I was a bit bemused to be honest. Anyhow role forward to early January and I decide to give him a refund. I go to refund him the full amount but as there is no funds in my paypal account the refund is refused. It should automatically utilise my back up source of my bank but this did not happen. I then decide to use my initiative and make a payment to the same email address he used to buy the item. Roll on another two weeks he says he has not received any payment to his email address and that he never uses that email address for paypal?!?!? :mad:

To make matters worse he has now opened a dispute claiming I haven't redfunded him.
So now it looks like I will lose a ridiculous amount of money -
A. The item was lost by royal mail which cost - £16
B. The payment I made to his account which he claims he doesn't use – another £16
C. Yet I am still obliged to refund him the ORIGINAL £16

Total loses are approaching £60, what a shambles.

At a complete loss (no pun intended) at what to do, any ideas?

Last edited:
Phone Paypal :confused:

You're actually only going to be £16 and an item out of pocket. You've refunded the guy £16.00 which he paid you so they cancel each other out. You should add Royal Mail and Yourself but remove Ebay and Paypal from the thread title because Ebay and Paypal haven't done anything wrong in this scenario. If he had not received his item and you wanted to issue a refund all you needed to do was go to the resolution centre and follow the procedure there.

Still a hassle to sort out of course but you can't blame anyone other than Royal Mail and yourself for this.

Phone Paypal :confused:

Well I tried emailing them and they sad they would get back to me within 72 hours and that didn't happen, if I try ringing them it is an international number so it will cost a fair bit. But i'll see what I can do.

Thanks for the reply as well Decadence.

If a mod wouldn't mind closing this thread I would be grateful.

You're actually only going to be £16 and an item out of pocket. You've refunded the guy £16.00 which he paid you so they cancel each other out. You should add Royal Mail and Yourself but remove Ebay and Paypal from the thread title because Ebay and Paypal haven't done anything wrong in this scenario. If he had not received his item and you wanted to issue a refund all you needed to do was go to the resolution centre and follow the procedure there.

Still a hassle to sort out of course but you can't blame anyone other than Royal Mail and yourself for this.

I would agree, as unfortunate as it is that you have to refund the money again you should have gone through the Resolution Centre procedures.

if I try ringing them it is an international number so it will cost a fair bit.

Since when? Not saying it isn't but when I had need to ring PayPal last autumn it was a UK number.

Have they changed since?

Cheers,

Nigel

Didn't you insure what you sent?
Seems daft to me that anyone would send something without being able to prove it got there in case of a dispute such as this.
But I'm not an ebay seller so don't know the protocol.

A. The item was lost by royal mail which cost - £16

Which you claim back from RM. Items sent standard post (ie without extra insurance) are covered up to 100xstamps (about £35ish)
http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/content3?mediaId=51000693&catId=400030

B. The payment I made to his account which he claims he doesn’t use – another £16

Which if he's cashed, will be auditable by PayPal and you should be able to get them to reverse it. If he's NOT cashed it, cancel the payment in your control panel.

C. Yet I am still obliged to refund him the ORIGINAL £16

Yep.

Them's the rules. If you don't like 'em, don't play the game.

Which you claim back from RM. Items sent standard post (ie without extra insurance) are covered up to 100xstamps (about £35ish)
http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/content3?mediaId=51000693&catId=400030

Which if he's cashed, will be auditable by PayPal and you should be able to get them to reverse it. If he's NOT cashed it, cancel the payment in your control panel.

Yep.

Them's the rules. If you don't like 'em, don't play the game.

I am aware of the rules thanks. I have made a claim and Royal Mail have already written to me claiming the postcode is "invalid". So I will be chasing them up about it in due course.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom