Paypal/ebay/credit card chargeback question

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by bruce-leroy, Mar 6, 2013.

1. bruce-leroy

bruce-leroy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,821
    Hi,

I've been looking on the net but not found the answer I'm looking for. If I sell something and accept PayPal payment, and the buyer decides to fraudulently make a chargeback claim via PayPal, credit card or whatever; is there anything that can be done to stop a chargeback happening?

Everything I've read suggests that nothing can stop a chargeback should a buyer make a claim for one, genuine or otherwise. There may be ways to prevent it in terms of checking address matches the one on file with PayPal, and using recorded of special delivery to ensure proof of receipt of goods, but am I right in assuming if a buyer claims chargeback they usually get their money back regardless?

However, my actual question is, if chargeback is filed, what happens if I withdraw the money from PayPal and there is no way to retrieve funds through the means of a bank account or credit card that was registered with PayPal? What happens after that? Would I be sent an invoice or debt collection letter? Small claims court?

2. _dark_blu

_dark_blu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Yes. Your PayPal account would have a negative balance and you will be chased for the 'debt'.