PayPal 2 Step Verification

Tight Git

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder if someone can help, please?

Having used PayPal for many years, the newly introduced 2 step verification is causing me a problem.

They already have my home number, but it doesn't ring when they say it should, so I can't enter the one time code.

I've tried to contact them to tell them, but it requires the 2 step verification before I can get through! :facepalm:

So, I'm now unable to use PayPal. :(

Any suggestions, please?

It does seem pretty stupid that you have to log in to access the contact options as many issues relate to not being able to log in, such as your issue.

I've just logged in and it gives a number to contact but also mentions this: "Freephone number available from local landline only: 0800 358 7911. Please note that mobile callers should use the local rate number listed."

It says the customer service hours are 8am to 6:30pm Monday to Sunday so you may not have time to get through today.

PP customer services were surprisingly helpful over the phone and resolved my issue there and then.

I wonder if someone can help, please?

Having used PayPal for many years, the newly introduced 2 step verification is causing me a problem.

They already have my home number, but it doesn't ring when they say it should, so I can't enter the one time code.

I've tried to contact them to tell them, but it requires the 2 step verification before I can get through! :facepalm:

So, I'm now unable to use PayPal. :(

Any suggestions, please?
When you've got this sorted out could you give them a mobile number instead so they can just send you a text next time?

I used PayPal this morning and was rather surprised that I had to go through this 2 step verification process as I was spending the princely sum of £1.49!

could you give them a mobile number instead so they can just send you a text next time?
Most online transactions I do are from home - where my mobile carrier's signal is sub-par.
That advice would be counterproductive for myself and I suspect, many others.

Most online transactions I do are from home - where my mobile carrier's signal is sub-par.
That advice would be counterproductive for myself and I suspect, many others.
sms messages still come through via wifi calling 👍

Or even better and more secure, use the TOTP protocol where your password manager generated the onetime code based on the time every 30 seconds.

Not all carriers support that - a FM suggested it in a previous thread and I checked, mine doesn't (didn't at the time I checked).

It does seem pretty stupid that you have to log in to access the contact options as many issues relate to not being able to log in, such as your issue.

I've just logged in and it gives a number to contact but also mentions this: "Freephone number available from local landline only: 0800 358 7911. Please note that mobile callers should use the local rate number listed."

It says the customer service hours are 8am to 6:30pm Monday to Sunday so you may not have time to get through today.
Thanks for that Freephone number!

I've spoken to an advisor and the problem seems to be that I've given them my landline number as my mobile doesn't work within the house as I live in a rural area with very weak signal.

Fortunately my home phone will accept text messages, so the work around is that they've logged my landline number as a mobile on their system.

I'll only know if this trick will work when I next make a PayPal purchase, but fingers crossed!

Many thanks for your assistance. :)

I think the Paypal 2 step verification also has an approve via app option. So you could download the app onto your mobile and use that to verify when needed so will be done via wifi.

When you've got this sorted out could you give them a mobile number instead so they can just send you a text next time?

I used PayPal this morning and was rather surprised that I had to go through this 2 step verification process as I was spending the princely sum of £1.49!
Well the alternative would be PayPal not requiring it for low value transactions, but potentially allow a criminal to bypass the 2 step verification to gain access to your account by simply making a £1.49 transaction...;)

I think the Paypal 2 step verification also has an approve via app option. So you could download the app onto your mobile and use that to verify when needed so will be done via wifi.

Thanks, but you are assuming I have a smart phone, which I haven't!

That doesn't work on O2, unfortunately. 2FA that uses texts is really annoying for me because the signal here is so poor. I have to go and walk around outside and wait for it to come in.

PayPal authentication, though, gives me the option to receive a phone call instead of a text, and then enter a code that they supply. That works like a charm.

I'll only know if this trick will work when I next make a PayPal purchase, but fingers crossed!
Once you’ve activated 2 step verification, you also need it just to log into PayPal (not just purchases), so you can just test logging into your PayPal account to see if it works :)

Last edited:
Once you’ve activated 2 step verification, you also need it just to log into PayPal (not just purchases), so you can just test logging into your PayPal account to see if it works :)

Thanks, I didn't realise that, but then I don't usually log in apart from purchases.

Anyway, just logged in, received a text on my landline and all OK. :smashin:

2FA that uses texts is really annoying for me because the signal here is so poor. I have to go and walk around outside and wait for it to come in.

I'm in the same position regarding mobile signal.

There's none in the house and the only way to get a signal outside is to climb a tree in the front garden.

That's fine when the builders were here, but not recommended for a 76 year old like me! :eek:

I'm in the same position regarding mobile signal.

There's none in the house and the only way to get a signal outside is to climb a tree in the front garden.

That's fine when the builders were here, but not recommended for a 76 year old like me! :eek:
It's hard to believe that in 2021 there are still so many of us in rural areas who can't get a decent mobile signal. It use to be the same where I live until they upgraded the transmitter on the other side of the river to me but now I get good reception and it's meant I can have a smart meter for the electricity which wasn't possible before.

It's hard to believe that in 2021 there are still so many of us in rural areas who can't get a decent mobile signal. It use to be the same where I live until they upgraded the transmitter on the other side of the river to me but now I get good reception and it's meant I can have a smart meter for the electricity which wasn't possible before.
Equally I bet there are a lot of NIMBY’s protesting about adding any more transmitters in their local area.

No steps verification for me, I only ever use Paypal if it is an online debit card transaction and is the only payment option.

Equally I bet there are a lot of NIMBY’s protesting about adding any more transmitters in their local area.
Oh definitely! They wanted to put this transmitter on our side of the river originally but all hell broke out ( not from me I hasten to add).
It's the same with wind turbines, everyone thinks they're a good idea but no-one wants them where they can see them themselves.

No steps verification for me, I only ever use Paypal if it is an online debit card transaction and is the only payment option.
The 2 step verification isn’t really about that. It’s to make it much harder for a fraudster to use your PayPal account to pay for their fraudulent purchases.

It's not just PayPal but similar measures should soon be in place no matter what method you use for online payments. It's called Strong Customer Authentication (SCA) and was supposed to happen 2 years ago but has been delayed. According to the article below, SCA should be implemented by 14 September 2021.

It's not just PayPal but similar measures should soon be in place no matter what method you use for online payments. It's called Strong Customer Authentication (SCA) and was supposed to happen 2 years ago but has been delayed. According to the article below, SCA should be implemented by 14 September 2021.

Some have started it already. I paid a lump sum off my Argos card recently and Visa texted me with a one time code to enter before the payment could go through.

Some have started it already. I paid a lump sum off my Argos card recently and Visa texted me with a one time code to enter before the payment could go through.
Yeah, the date given is the deadline date so I think most payment providers will have something rolled out before then.
Looks like it's going to be a big problem for those of us without mobiles. :(
You can get a text message on your landline, as you mentioned on post #14.

The only problem I can see with that is some payment services may not accept a landline number on their website so that may require speaking to customers services, as you did with PayPal.

The only problem I can see with that is some payment services may not accept a landline number on their website so that may require speaking to customers services, as you did with PayPal.
Indeed, I've already contacted my credit card banks (HSBC & Co-Op) and both are insisting on it being a mobile number.

They do, however, both say they are looking at alternatives...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom