1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paying For Online Games.

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by Garrett, May 27, 2002.

?
  1. Once you have bought the game, no site charge.

8 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Free game just site charge.

4 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Present system is fair.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,017
    What do you think of purely online games that you have to buy then, pay again after a month to play online? Plus if you are not on unlimited time have to pay for the phone cost making it quite expensive.(I know you will still pay this)
    My personal view it seem to me as the equivalent as buying a DVD the having to pay each time you watch it.
    There is one that I know of that doesn’t charge that is Blizzard’s Diablo also you do not need to go online to play it.
    Thoughts anyone!

2. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,790
    I've got Dark Age of Camelot, which is a monthly subscription MMORPG (Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game).

The game itself is pretty good, and the community feel is excellent. Well worth the cash IMHO.

Paid for multiplayer is going to be a feature of gaming in the future - one way or the other. Hell, Microsoft are even trying to go towards subscription based Office productivity software - and gaming is far more suited to the subscription model than the likes of MS Word!

3. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,017
    Funny you should mention Dark Ages Of Camelot, I was watching Have I got News For You, and the mentioned Suritain (spelling?) the Great I typed it in the search engine to get info about him and I got Dark Ages Of Camelot, I did not know about it but asked a mate, guess the way we though. Hence the poll.
    What do they charge a month? For the above?

4. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,790
    £6 for one month, £17 for three or £30 for six.

I've got ADSL, so no call charges. It's a good game - but required a big committment of time to get into it. The learning curve is a bit steep, but there are plenty of helpful people once you are online.

5. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,790
  6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I think if it is a game you have to play online then it should be free download and site charge or Cheap CD with 1 months subs and a guide manual. If online isoptional then I guess it depends how much you want to play online. I think Xbox PS2 Cube online should be 1 sub for all online games say £10 a month or 1 month free with the game and £30 quid for the year for that game. It will be interesting to see if the playing life of online games is longer than Standard ones i.e. FIFA type games, with updates down loaded automaticly, no need to buy the next seasons edition, which I agree with if you are paying a sub.

7. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,790
    I pretty much agree hornydragon.

Dark Age of Camelot does come with a months subscription included. Online is mandatory though - you cannot play it offline. At £17.99, which does include a reasonable manual it isn't bad value IMHO.

Some of the most successful (financially speaking) games are subscription based - Ultima and Everquest being the two big examples. Just wait till the Star Wars MMORPG comes out - then we'll definitely see subscription based gaming become more mainstream.

Games like Half Life have undoubtedly sold more due to their free on-line mods like Team Fortress Classic and Counter-Strike. On-line is definitely the future of gaming, and it's got to be paid for somehow.

8. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    You will most likely find that all future online games will become subscription based.

The most likely model is a portal approach, whereby you pay £10 a month and have access to a publishers portal (SONY, EA, BLIZZARD, VALVE etc.). This will likely allow you to have complete access to their catalogue of games online. This could become expensive especially if they all start charging, most PC portals require you to sign up already, and SONY charge for access to theirs (you pay for Everquest, but you gain access to all of SONY-STATION for free).

I believe that VALVE will start charging for their STEAM service, so you can play Counterstrike etc. I would expect that EA will start charging soon, although at the moment it is only confined to their online only games.

As far as console goes, it may be tricky. You may have to pay a charge per month to SONY/Microsoft/Nintendo and then also extra charges on top for games.

Hopefully, it will be one charge fits all, but for those people who like to play a mix of games online it may become a bottomless pit of money. However, I have found in my online experience, you tend to devote all your attention to one game at a time, as online games tend to be more engrossing than singleplayers.

In answer to the original point of buying a DVD, everytime you play your DVD do you get new scenes? new extras? new characters? The answer is no, when you pay for a game online you are paying for a group of individuals to maintain and modify your playing experience, hence why it is more engrossing.