Paying for address check - Is it genuine?

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by philbo83, Jan 21, 2008.

1. philbo83

philbo83

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I recently submitted a request through the VM address checker on their site as the address listing they had for my property wasn't accurate.

A few days later I received a phone call from a man saying he worked for VM and that it was his job to update these incorrect addresses in their system. The reason he gave was that VM were going to be fined for having inaccurate address, something because of 999 calls...

He told me he needed to come round to the property, I need to provide proof I lived there, and that it would cost me £25.

I was a little suspicious about this afterwards so I rang VM who didn't seem to know anything about it, and were able to register me with the inaccurate address.

Does anyone here know whether this call is genuine and needs to be completed? Given the fact I've successfully signed up for VM I'm slightly reluctant to pay out an extra £25 for them to keep their databases up to date.

Thanks,
    Phil

2. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,074
    I think the fact that you contacted VM who told you that they knew nothing about it tells you all - it sounds to me like a scam and I would therefore totally ignore it. I have to say I would be more than slightly reluctant to pay £25 to keep a company's database up to date.

As a matter of interest, who are VM anyway - must admit, I've never heard of them.

Cheers,

Martin.

3. philbo83

philbo83

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah my initial thought that it was a scam.

VM = Virgin Media :)

4. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,074
    Should have figured that one, shouldn't I? :suicide:

Cheers,

Martin.

5. ched

ched

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    I was under the impression that under the data protection act a company was legally required to correct any personal information about you that was incorrect. So on that basis you could legally demand they correct their records or you could report them to the Data Registrar and they could fine VM or even prosecute.

So I would say somehow its a scam, do you ave a contact number/name of the person that wanted to charge you £25? If you do then your local trading standards/ police may be interested. As some less careful people than yourself may get stung.

6. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +180
    When you call 999 your correct address must appear at the 999 call centre (for want of better word). If it doesn't your telephone provider can be fined.

Quite why you should pay for them to correct it is beyond me, it will be down to VM to have the correct details.

7. dan1979

dan1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    They can verify you live there from the electoral roll or you providing a copy of a utility bill.

Bunch of nonsense he was giving you.