PAYG Phone Orange Refund

luke0380

Standard Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had any dealings with Orange Shops in getting a refund of a PAYG phone.

My dad brought one for my mum this week as a present , but she didn't like it , keypad was too small was one of the main problems.

Anyway they took the fund back to get a refund and they were told this wasn't possible.

Now my Dad hasn't signed anything, so are they allowed to do this ?, i am going to go to the store to see if they have signs up saying no refunds will be given.

Where do i stand?

Your father purchased an item, the shop sold him the item, why should the shop take the item back, after all nothing is wrong with item, it works as described, its even the same colour as is described.
The phone, as you have already said is a pay as you go phone, therefor there is no contract.
The shop, be it Tesco, Orange, B&Q or whatever is not obliged to give a refund, unless the item is faulty-not as described.

Unless of coarse the shop advertises a 'no quibble' refund.
Perhaps the shop assistant described the key pad as being suitable for a less nimble person might aid your attempt at getting a refund? but would that approach be honest?

Sorry to be the bearer of the information that you don't want.

Last edited:
Your father purchased an item, the shop sold him the item, why should the shop take the item back, after all nothing is wrong with item, it works as described, its even the same colour as is described.
The phone, as you have already said is a pay as you go phone, therefor there is no contract.
The shop, be it Tesco, Orange, B&Q or whatever is not obliged to give a refund, unless the item is faulty-not as described.

Unless of coarse the shop advertises a 'no quibble' refund.
Perhaps the shop assistant described the key pad as being suitable for a less nimble person might aid your attempt at getting a refund? but would that approach be honest?

Sorry to be the bearer of the information that you don't want.

Not a problem mate!! , just wanted to find out the facts.

I know when you buy something on the internet they will refund it , if under 30 days , i just wondered if something like this would apply.

Also for example , i know Stores in town that would refund items of clothing , say if you take them home and they don't fit , people quite oftern bring them back for a refund.

If Orange were to turn round and say we can only offer an exchange or credit note then that would be more than suitable.

Not a problem mate!! , just wanted to find out the facts.

I know when you buy something on the internet they will refund it , if under 30 days , i just wondered if something like this would apply.

Also for example , i know Stores in town that would refund items of clothing , say if you take them home and they don't fit , people quite oftern bring them back for a refund.

If Orange were to turn round and say we can only offer an exchange or credit note then that would be more than suitable.

30 days? Try seven days..........unless individual businesses have policies better than the distant selling regulations.

Previously, Orange did offer a 14 day return period on all handsets (PAYG & Contract) however, this ceased a couple of years back. Now, unless the handset is faulty, most stores will not take back the handset.

If the sim has not been registered, you may be able to get a credit note/exchange, however, if it has been registered it is unlikely that you will get anything. Sorry.

Previously, Orange did offer a 14 day return period on all handsets (PAYG & Contract) however, this ceased a couple of years back. Now, unless the handset is faulty, most stores will not take back the handset.

If the sim has not been registered, you may be able to get a credit note/exchange, however, if it has been registered it is unlikely that you will get anything. Sorry.

Well i know the phone hasn't been used in the phone , the sim card is still in the credit card thingy...

The only thing they have done is my dad had to pay a £10 topup, but not sure if this means it is registered or Orange registered it.

No mention on the recepit about refunds or exchanges.

Well i know the phone hasn't been used in the phone , the sim card is still in the credit card thingy...

The only thing they have done is my dad had to pay a £10 topup, but not sure if this means it is registered or Orange registered it.

No mention on the recepit about refunds or exchanges.

If it's been topped up, it's been registered. :(

Orange pay a commission on every handset that is sold, both contract AND PAYG. However, for the commission to be tracked, the phone has to be registered, that is why the majority of companies selling PAYG now state that you also have to buy a top up - this ensures the phone is registered and they get their money. This is especially important on the cheaper handsets, as often the trade price is higher than the selling price - only the commission will make a profit. No connection = money lost.

The reason the distance selling regulations work as they do is precisely because you have not had a chance to examine the goods. Of course its just the European enactment of our own SGA s35(2)

Caveat emptor applies. There is no right of return because you do not like the keys, in these circumstances

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom