1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PAYG Mobiles

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by daveb975, Jan 16, 2004.

1. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +258
    I have broken my mobile and need a replacement for a couple of months until my contract runs out.

Is it possible to buy a new PAYG phone, and use my current contract SIM?

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,984
    Yes, usually, provided that you buy it from the same network. Even PAYG phones are usually sold locked to one network.

Otherwise (at perhaps slightly higher cost) you could buy a SIM-free phone (eg from Phones4U and others), which will work with any SIM, any network. Gives you some flexibility if you ever want to switch in future, and you can then keep it permanently as a spare. Siemens A55 is a pretty good basic handset, as a spare.

You can also use it abroad (which countries, depends on the number of bands on the phone). For example - go on holiday to Spain. Get a local Spanish PAYG SIM-only deal and use it to call home. Cheaper than payphones and hotel phones, and much cheaper than 'roaming' with your UK SIM.

3. onefivenine

onefivenine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +647
    Along the same lines...
    Do UK PAYG SIMs work abroad?

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,984
    Yes with limitations - and depending on the phone.

So: Dual-band phone will work pretty much anywhere except USA/Canada.
    Tri-band phone will work pretty much anywhere including USA/Canada.

BUT:

Using a UK SIM abroad means that you are doing what is called 'roaming' - in other words, you are using your UK 'account' via a partner network in another country. You keep the same phone number etc.

And for all tariffs I've ever looked at it is horrendously expensive. Because it's more horrendously expensive in some countries than others (typically, within the EEC is cheaper), most operators limit roaming with PAYG accounts to Europe and don't allow it elsewhere at all - this is not a technical limitation, it's a policy decision.

To give you an idea, here are Orange's PAYG roaming charges for, say Holland:

Call to the UK: 120p per min
    Receive a call: 60p per min
    Send a SMS: 40p each

Get the idea? Only for use in emergencies, I'd say.

With Orange at least, roaming charges are noticeably less (say about 20-30 %) for Pay Monthly accounts than for PAYG accounts, and the list of countries permitted is much greater.

Find out more from your Provider's website.

5. mobileman02

mobileman02

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to let u know that virgin are allowing all customers to roam abroad and if in europe the charges are 45p and only 60p to recieve calls.

Comparison T-Mob- £99p to make calls and £0.99 to recieve and 49 p per text.

O2 99p to make call but a whopping £1.50 per min to recieve

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    Thats strange! As Nigel said above, with Orange its half the price to receive a call abroad than to make a call. With O2 it's the other way around or the same price for both sending/receiving on T-Mobile. It just shows how closely you need to watch your useage, and then swap networks to suit.

Mark.