PAYG mobile broadband

Monty1977

Hi all,

Need a month or so of access as I'm due to work on a site where there's no wifi access. Who, besides three, offer payg mobile broadband? And which represents the best VFM?

Thanks!
Adam

scaffolderus

Novice Member
Adam

I'm not sure there is much alternative in straight PAYG to 3. I'm pretty pleased with mine, though setting it up for the first time and buying bundles of cedit can be a bit tricky until you get used to it.

The trick seems to be to buy several bundles of, say, £15/3GB and let them queue up. Each bundle is then only accessed when your 30 days is up or you've used up your 3GB in downloads.

The helpdesk is completely useless, but there's lots of help here and else where on the net.

Have fun.

OFI

Novice Member
Worth bearing in mind the costs of going over your download limit with Three. I was tempted to get a dongle when there was a deal on until I saw the small print on going over your download limit.

£1/MB, how about no. :nono:

Monty1977

Worth bearing in mind the costs of going over your download limit with Three. I was tempted to get a dongle when there was a deal on until I saw the small print on going over your download limit.

£1/MB, how about no. :nono:
Surely if I'm PAYG I won't be able to go over my download limit ?!?!

Cheers,
Adam

scaffolderus

Novice Member
It's really simple. When you credit your account just convert it to bundles (e.g. £15 for 3GB for 30 days) at the same time, then each bundle is held in a queue until it's needed (i.e the 30 days expires or you exceed your download limit) then 3 just help themselves to the next bundle. I guess you could pay for a year in advance (if you really wanted to) by crediting your account and paying for 12 bundles...

Monty1977

Just popping back to let everyone know that I ended up going for a T Mobile 'web'n'walk' package.

Modem costs £50 and you pay £2 for every day used (from midnight to midnight) with a reasonable use policy in place for data usage .. chap in shop said it was 3Gb but you'd have to do a lot to get them to do anything to you should you go over this.

I reckon it's a very good deal for the occasional train journey or day away from home where there's no wifi - certainly WAY better than expensive hotel internet costs.

Performance is pretty darn good too .. connected at 3.6Mbps and getting download speeds in the 150-200Kbps range.

Cheers,
Monty

richdgrant

Novice Member
Just popping back to let everyone know that I ended up going for a T Mobile 'web'n'walk' package.

Modem costs £50 and you pay £2 for every day used (from midnight to midnight) with a reasonable use policy in place for data usage .. chap in shop said it was 3Gb but you'd have to do a lot to get them to do anything to you should you go over this.

I reckon it's a very good deal for the occasional train journey or day away from home where there's no wifi - certainly WAY better than expensive hotel internet costs.

Performance is pretty darn good too .. connected at 3.6Mbps and getting download speeds in the 150-200Kbps range.

Cheers,
Monty
Hey Monty,

That sounds pretty good :)

I just bought a ultra portable laptop at the weekend and ordered the T-Mobile PAYG mobile broadband yesterday. I will be using for the same reasons, odd train journey, hotels, places with no wifi etc etc.

Have you used it while on the move yet (i.e. on a train)? It would be interesting too know how stable the connection is or if you need to reconnect at all.

Thanks,

Rich

Monty1977

Hey Monty,

That sounds pretty good :)

I just bought a ultra portable laptop at the weekend and ordered the T-Mobile PAYG mobile broadband yesterday. I will be using for the same reasons, odd train journey, hotels, places with no wifi etc etc.

Have you used it while on the move yet (i.e. on a train)? It would be interesting too know how stable the connection is or if you need to reconnect at all.

Thanks,

Rich
I've used it on a train once, was pretty good but of course as liable to reception issues as anything moving would be - reconnection is very quick which is a bonus.

HTH
Monty

Urien Rheged

Distinguished Member
Does anyone know how playing a MMORPG on a laptop using mobile broadband would work? Would you quickly use up your download limit? I am looking for a mobile broadband package to take on holiday in the UK. I might fancy a quick blast on LOTRO.

Also whats the best packages at the moment? Do T-Mobile or O2 do any PAYG packages where I wouldn't end up getting charged a fortune, i.e. when your credit is up it simply stops working, as opposed to being charged for what you use?

:lease:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom