Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Pay DTT to return!

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by PhilipVass, Oct 3, 2003.

1. PhilipVass

PhilipVass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I may be wrong but i hard something about a new pay DTT service where you pay 6 pounds to get a few extra channels including Film Four, i may be wrong but i dont understand how it can work with the new boxes, also i heard something of broadcasters developing a new return path which would be used for QVC active. :rolleyes:

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    It wouldn't be difficult to get a PAY system back in place but it would certainly be very expensive to the supplier. There is capacity on DTT that isn't part of Freeview therefore no confusion there (who am i kidding) and there is certainly a market for PAY TV on DTT although you would wonder how many ITV D subscribers joined SKY during the boom period after ITV D's collaspse.
    However I can not see how they could ever introduce a PAY service without using brand new STB's with a new encryption system. Both Seca 1 & 2 have been compromised and I don't think any of the current boxes being sold have CAM options.

3. PhilipVass

PhilipVass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So if they used Ch 14 and 15 slots on Freeview, normal boxes would pick up a blank or test card screen, maybe that is why we have been seeing Film Four on ch14.

4. PhilipVass

PhilipVass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Let me quote from an Interview..
    Another iceberg on the horizon for Freeview is the question of a rival platform launching on DTT. Former Sky managing director David Chance is trying to launch a basic-level pay service, for £6-8 per month. The BBC's Duncan is none too keen: "It would be very unhelpful to introduce a pay offering on DTT at this stage. It's far too early."

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    I totally agree with the BBC's representative (Very rare I do that) as it would cause confusion not only to the potential consumer but to manufacturers who might be required to offer alternative PAY equipped hardware at higher prices and all the extra promotion that entails.

I honestly can not see the point until the analogue shutdown which will not only free up some capacity but be in the timeframe when the current boxes might naturally be replaced with the latest tech and the PAY hardware could be inserted into the userbase quite painlessly.