Paving Slabs On My Sub - All Done Finally

Apocalypse

Standard Member
Reaction score
Not exactly Operation Overlord I know but getting all the bits to complete the task was painstaking as all the items were free :)

I've done the job based on what others have done but I'm not sure if it's correct so please report any errors :blush:

The subwoofer is the new B&W ASW 675 which is connected at Line Level with the front speakers for musical performance, my movie sub in the form of the Servo 15 arrives Thursday.

What Each Slab Weighed

The Rubber Mat I Used For Insulation/Protection

Rubber Pads On Floor Ready For 1st Slab

1st Slab Down

Base Of Sub With Rubber Feet

Sub In Position And Ready For The Top Slab

The Finished Article

THE RESULTS - The B&W sub was allready very tight but now not only is it tighter but I could turn up the volume on it as there was no hint of boomy bass. Cone excursion on the sub has reduced also which is a good thing of course. Downstairs directly under my room you used to hear every bass note eminating from my room but now all you hear is the treble sounds, excellent if you have neighbours under your AV room IMO.

I used Moby's "Play" album to test the bass performance of the new setup and where previously I set the sub volume just below boomy sound I found myself turning up the volume on the sub to reach an astonishing level of bass, mimicking a nightclub albeit without the ambience and vomit :)

Another test I gave the sub was the two MP3s I have which go way down to 5Hz and 7Hz respectively, previously the 5Hz MP3 (1812 Overture) at loud volumes made the B&W turn itself off as it was too much for it to handle. This time I could play the same MP3 at that same volume but also with more sub volume, the B&W is quoted as a 17Hz capable sub so it was quite an impressive bass performance, especially witnessing a can of pepsi rattle at the other end of the room :eek:

I can't report what the slabs do for movies as the B&W is there for music so apologies on that score. Anyway, please feedback your comments.

nice one! The finished product looks truly menacing!

What was the weight of the slabs? For some reason i cant get a nice image on that one!

I think i will try this and see what i can achieve. I have recently given up on my storm for music, maybe this will help me integrate it more sucessfully!

Ad

Originally posted by buns
nice one! The finished product looks truly menacing!

What was the weight of the slabs? For some reason i cant get a nice image on that one!

Ad

Sorry about that, the needle is bang on the 20Kg mark :)

Leading on from this and the other "marble slab" thread.....why does the weight of a slab beneath the sub make such a difference?

I can have something below my sub, but frankly until I have a dedicated room where I can hide my subs I won't be sticking slabs of anything on top of them! They look bloody awful (no offence to Apocalypse intended, I imagine thats how most of em look).

Cheers
Smurf

Slabs do vary! I have slabs under my power amps, they are brick redish and beneath my amps look incredible!

20Kg is a good old weight! maybe you should double up! :D

I presume the slabs work because they add mass in turn altering the resonances of the system.

Ad

Originally posted by Smurfin
Leading on from this and the other "marble slab" thread.....why does the weight of a slab beneath the sub make such a difference?

I can have something below my sub, but frankly until I have a dedicated room where I can hide my subs I won't be sticking slabs of anything on top of them! They look bloody awful (no offence to Apocalypse intended, I imagine thats how most of em look).

Cheers
Smurf

LOL, I agree it is an awful site to behold but aesthetics have never been a concern to me in this room :D

The slab underneath the sub for me is probably the greatest bonus because it shields the bass from the room downstairs.

Can anyone else comment on the "weight" aspect of them?

Cheers
Matt

You might want to try the Mana Acoustics 'Soundstage' it's a little more 'refined' than a paving slab although not as cheap, and it will give you better results as well.

www.mana.co.uk/menu.htm (click on products | SoundStage)

I have to say, i would still be very tempted to put a slab on top of the sub, even with the soundstage below!

ad

Given that Apocalypse has a wooden floor a SoundStage on top of a paving slab would probably sound better. I read somewhere in the Mana guff that they work better on concrete floors rather than wooden floors.

P.S

Happy 21st birthday Buns! :)

Well, the Mana stuff is all heavily spiked, which would *couple* the sub to the wooden floor, causing *more* bass transmission downstairs rather than less! :eek: I would imagine the Mana platform on top of a paving slab would probably be fine tho.

Dunc

From the Mana website...

'With the table on a suspended wooden floor,' contends Watson, 'the sound is airier, the ambience is better than on a concrete floor. But there's more drama on the concrete.'

That'll teach me to keep my gob shut! What do I know?, I've only got 10 of them under my kit! :rolleyes:

Will covering the slabs with material (just to conceal their 'ugliness') have an adverse affect on their original purpose?

Can someone comment as to the effect of the "weight" of the slabs? i.e could you use say a section of kitchen worktop instead, or is it simply the "dense-ness" of the slab which affects the acoustic properties?

I'm not sure I understand how all this works.....:confused:

Originally posted by Smurfin
Can someone comment as to the effect of the "weight" of the slabs? i.e could you use say a section of kitchen worktop instead, or is it simply the "dense-ness" of the slab which affects the acoustic properties?

I'm not sure I understand how all this works.....:confused:

As I understand it, the more sturdy the subwoofer frame is the less resonance you get which creates a tighter sound. On another note, having tried both metal spikes and rubber feet on the sub I've found that the rubber feet certainly performed better, the reduced rattling was noticeable.

Originally posted by Kevo
Will covering the slabs with material (just to conceal their 'ugliness') have an adverse affect on their original purpose?

No effect at all.

Nice onei Apocalypse,
I'm glad someone else has confirmed everything I'v experienced by putting a big old stone on top of my sub. :grin
I was starting to think I was going mad, everyone around me was laughing at me.

marc:D

Originally posted by marcoeser
Nice onei Apocalypse,
I'm glad someone else has confirmed everything I'v experienced by putting a big old stone on top of my sub. :grin
I was starting to think I was going mad, everyone around me was laughing at me.

marc:D

I've sold the sub now and the guy picks it up Saturday so it looks like you're back to being the only guy crazy enough :D

The subwoofer is the new B&W ASW 675 which is connected at Line Level

sub should be connected at high level (speaker level) for best results with music.

Originally posted by Dan Gleebles
Ive heard if you add burberry the wife will accept it

Or if you live in Newcastle - an old shell suit

Originally posted by stranger
sub should be connected at high level (speaker level) for best results with music.

It was connected at high level, I used the term incorrectly as I know the high level has diff meanings. Paradigm call it "High Pass Output" and B&W call it simply "Line Out". Apologies for the confusion :blush:

I put my Kef 20B on a paving stone and I was able to increase the output before it became distorted on some scenes, when i put one on top as well I was able to increase the level even further, the one on top is just a bit unsightly though.

If I had a solid wooden floor, would this be as good as a paving slab?

Why? The only reason I can think of with my 3802 is you can't use direct mode hence not bypassing some of the circuitry.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom